Which cable please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to run a wire steel armoured cable underground from my domestic consumer unit to a caravan in my garden. The run is 50 meters and the caravan is basically going to be used as an extra bedroom for family visits. Can you please advise me correct cable I need to purchase.

Sponsored Links
Do you know the load requirements for the caravan?

Are we talking lights and a socket

Or are we talking lights, sockets, electric oven, fridge, toaster, electric shower?

Have you considered that this work needs certifying so you need to get a spark on board?

Also the consideration that you will need to create a local TT earth system if your current supply is a TN−C−S (PME) system which it most likely is.

Daniel

Thank you for replies, yes I think I will call in a local sparky, its more involved than I first thought (as usual :) )

Sponsored Links
Sadly while im all for diy and there is an argument that anything is better than throwing an extension out of the back door, but the time you have bought the cable/terminations/sockets/etc even to do it with an exported earth there is a lot to be said for paying for it to be installed corrected and by someone qualified to do it.
Ditto as said, for a permanant socket intended for regualar use with a caraven the earthing arrangment should be done correctly else there is a genuine risk in the event of a loss of supply neutral.

However, if its going to be run underground, you would certainly save money by digging the trench yourself, which is something you can do. The electrician will be able to run through the requirments on trench depth etc.

Daniel

Also the consideration that you will need to create a local TT earth system if your current supply is a TN−C−S (PME) system which it most likely is.

Daniel

Can I ask why?

Is it because of the distance, or because its a caravan?

Section 9 (4) here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2665/pdfs/uksi_20022665_en.pdf makes it illegal to connect the metalwork of a caravan to a PME system
This is for the distribution network. Neverthless connecting a PME sourced earth to a metal caravan is not sensible.

If the PME sourced earth becomes detached from earth ( failed neutral ) then the earth wire becomes hazardous to anyone touching true ground. Inside the house this is not a serious hazard as in the average house contact with the ground is not ( normally ) possible. Connect a caravan body to the PME earth wire and if the supply neutral fails the body of the caravan can become hazardous to anyone outside who touches it.

Earthing the caravan directly to earth using an earth rod is therefore safer providing the earth rod is effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back