Which caulk for cracks around skirting and coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually use no nonsense but i always seem to get cracks appear around plaster coving after time.

Is this just a typical thing with caulk

Would a glue or paintable silicone like ct1 be a better option

Sponsored Links
Normally, the cracks are not cracks in the caulk but cracks in the paint.

The problem varies with different brands of paint and different caulks.

I normally use Everbuild 125 caulk and Dulux Trade paints. That combo doesn't crack. A couple of weeks ago I used a green Johnstones trade emulsion with the 125. It didn't crack but after a few days the paint over the caulk became darker. I resorted to hitting the caulk with Blockaide shellac paint and repainted them.

When presented with previously painted rooms that have cracked caulk, I just apply shellac paint and then repaint them. Oil based undercoat should work as well but takes much longer to cure and if you are using a "poor" quality paint like Farrow and Ball, you may end up with fisheyes.

CT1 and the other MS polymers are great but are better suited to areas subject to movement. They have the advantage of not shrinking back but they are messier to work with and (potentially) leave a thicker edge. They also need to be treated with water based paints if you plan to use oil based finish coats on the skirting. If you don't the oil based paint will take months to dry. It is also 10 times more expensive than the 125.

A few years ago, a customer asked me to seal gaps where the skirting meets the wooden floor. I used CT1. 18 month later, I painted the whole room, I had forgotten about the CT1 and used oil based eggshell on the woodwork. I soon remembered when a few days later, I was cleaning up and discovered that the paint on the CT1 was still wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back