which central heating treatment(s) do you suggest?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of doing some radiator replacements in my house + other bits. I have changed several single radiators for some new double panel/double convertor radiators. So far its just 3 over a period of a few months as I got round to those rooms. The system has been drained once or twice, and from the old radiators the water was a bit black when it came to taking them off.

I am yet to use any inhibitor (I know naughty :( ) but I knew I would be changing more radiators and pipework adjustments + drain off added etc.. so waited till after I have done certain changes. Those changes are done and I think I am done with replacing radiators now until some time in the new year.

My question is what treatments should I use and in what order/timescales?

From a little research and a few forums my thought process was to do this:

Drain a little water out of the system to take pressure down and allow space for X300/X400? (what do you suggest?)
Add one of the above (or equivalent)
Add a little more water to bring pressure back up
Run system at normal running temp for how ever long that additive is needed.
Flush all water from all radiators using the drain off that's been added.
Add X100 inhibitor (or equivelant) and refill with water to pressure
Then run system again as per inhibitors instructions.

The boiler 2 years old, mixture of old and new radiators, I doubt its been cleaned recently by looking at the colour of the water/sludge that came out. I also have a towel style radiator if that makes any difference.

Have I missed anything or misunderstood what needs to happen? any other suggestions, tips etc... that I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael.

EDIT.... should I add some noise reducer/descaler (x200) at same time as inhibitor to give the boiler a bit of a clean from limescale/deposits? The boiler can be loud but not sure if that is just its normal running noise.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about inhibitor.
Never had any in my mums for 40 years and it's running fine.
I've done some pipework in my system and have never had any in for the last 7 years and the system is fine.
Just give the system a couple of drain downs and circulate around for a while. Then put in some inhibitor.
It will be fine.

Curious as to why you would want to change the rads from singles to doubles?
Surely all the rads are not undersized?
As already stated and in my opinion X100 needs to be added after you have finished your alterations.
A large majority of the magnetite would have been removed when the rads were replaced.
It's always best to drain the system when it is still slightly warm as the magnetite is more active then.

Sponsored Links
Was that 'don't worry about de-scaler' DC? icon_wink.gif
that's what I was going to ask lol

Curious as to why you would want to change the rads from singles to doubles?
Wanted to change them as the old ones were in a bit of a state. bad paint job, rust around air vent and valves, globbed up with paint, TRV rusted and knackered, olives loose, snapped brackets, and the other half is always freezing :rolleyes: and wanted to hide pipework under the floor instead of along the wall. Just seemed like if I was buying radiators anyway to replace then why not get something that could be a little better should it ever be needed.

Hopefully boiler should be up to the job and most of the rooms will now be heated correctly with balancing and use of TRV's.

in my opinion X100 needs to be added after you have finished your alterations
I have finished them for now. do not see myself tackling any more central heating work for over a month now. I just read that you should get some inhibitor in asap and as there has been none in for I would say 2-3 months then didn't think I should leave it much longer.

It's always best to drain the system when it is still slightly warm as the magnetite is more active then
Noted, thanks :D

and thank you to all that posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back