Which charger for a kids 6v car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't strictly DIY but was hoping someone would be able to help.

We have a 6v kids rid on car which we've lost the plug for. I have a number of similar plugs in the garage but none that seem to charge the car.

The battery in the car is 6v 4.5ah, could anyone tell me what I'm looking for on a power supply to be able to charge this battery? The last power supply I tried was 9v 1amp but it didn't seem to charge it at all.

Sponsored Links
I assume the charger connect to the car via a plug and socket of some kind - there might be some electronics between the socket on the car and the battery (probably just a reverse polarity 'idiot' diode) so it might not be as simple as plugging in arbitrary wall warts. If you can get to the battery terminals directly, and bypass any possible circuitry, then Maplin will have something suitable such as this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/6v-and-12v-automatic-sealed-lead-acid-battery-charger-5ah-8ah-n21ec

At £18 not the cheapest though!

I had something similar for my kids, I used a standard 12v car charger which had a 6v option for charging "motorcycle" batteries, not that I've ever had a 6v motorbike. In the end as they got bigger I swapped the battery for an old motorcycle battery and the kids had loads of fun in the car (which went a fair bit faster) running 12v. It seems most of these cars are 6v/12v motors and they run 6v in 2wd and 12v in 4wd. Gearbox didn't last long though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back