Position for car charger outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a car charger installed in my garage. The socket on my intended car is on the other side of the car, so I'm thinking about suspending the EV charger cable from the rafters so the plug hangs down near where the car's socket will be when its parked. I'd mount a dummy socket somewhere convenient to keep the plug out of harms way when not in use. Just to avoid confusion, I'm talking about the tethered cable from the charger to the car - not the supply cable!!

I'd like it to be fairly easily removeable from whatever kind of hooks I use, so that I can also use the cable to charge a car outside of the garage occasionally, and to provide for moving the hooks later on if I buy car with the socket in a different position.

I'm a bit concerned that the hooks don't chafe the outer insulation of the cable, but have to be strong enough to take the weight.

I've checked that the cable is long enough to reach and that there's plenty of headroom.

Anyone else done this, or have any ideas about a brand of hook (or carabiner?) that might do the job?

Sponsored Links
At least the cable will be out of harm's way from being driven over. You could use bungee cords to support it or put a bit of trunking across the rafters and put the cable in that for the majority of the run .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back