Electric car charger installation

Everyone else read the post in the context of the whole thread.
Quite so - but "there is always one" (or more!).
Sure, flameport could have written paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats, but if we all did that then we'd all end up like JohnW2, wouldn't we?
In my case, it's a spill-over from my working life - although, unfortunately, seemingly no less relevant here.

I learned decades ago that if I do not "write paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats",, there will always be at least one tedious person who will chirp up with things like: ""you have not considered XYZ", "but what if XYZ" (where XYZ id often something incredibly rare or improbable), "that does not apply if ABC", "that is not true in all situations" etc. etc. - so I have learned to try (not always successfully!) to pre-empt their nit-picking!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Everyone else read the post in the context of the whole thread.
Sure, flameport could have written paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats, but if we all did that then we'd all end up like JohnW2, wouldn't we?

For the record Flameport does advocate changing RCD's ....................

I learned decades ago that if I do not "write paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats",, there will always be at least one tedious person who will chirp up with things like: ""you have not considered XYZ", "but what if XYZ" (where XYZ id often something incredibly rare or improbable), "that does not apply if ABC", "that is not true in all situations" etc. etc. - so I have learned to try (not always successfully!) to pre-empt their nit-picking!

This is a DIY forum. Keep it short and to the point or you loose most of the posters ............... if you want to debate in depth you should be on a sparky only forum

This is a DIY forum. Keep it short and to the point or you loose most of the posters ...............
:) :)

that's more than a little amusing coming from someone who has just misinterpreted a post (which the rest of us understood 'in context'), seemingly because the poster had not "written paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats"
if you want to debate in depth you should be on a sparky only forum
Bu definition, I could not participate in a 'sparky-only' forum

Sponsored Links
that's more than a little amusing coming from someone who has just misinterpreted a post (which the rest of us understood 'in context'), seemingly because the poster had not "written paragraphs and paragraphs with context and caveats"
Bang on , well said that man !!!

Quite so - but "there is always one" (or more!).

In my case, it's a spill-over from my working life - although, unfortunately, seemingly no less relevant here.

Kind Regards, John
Where I can I link to trade papers which detail all. easier than writing all out yet again.

I must admit EV charging point worry me. I see items like this 1706875609937.png for sale, and inside a garage or other commercial building why not? If the car is charged within the bonded area there is no real problem, however the same item used outside with a domestic premises is a very different thing. It shows how 1706875940238.png 8, 10, 13, 16 and 32 amp charging can be selected, and state
Many kinds of intelligent protection measures: over-current protection, over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, leakage protection, overheating protection,
I note nothing about 6 mA DC detection or RCD protection and these to be frank worry me as so easy for them to be used in inappropriate places.

My own son set up a caravan hook up in his garden, it was connected to the house TT supply, which was latter upgraded if that's the right word to a TN-C-S supply, so it complied when installed, it does not comply now as a caravan supply, he only uses now for garden tools, caravan long gone. But it would be so easy to use it to charge an EV. Why the EV is not class II I have no idea, it would be far safer, however we have now the potential to create some potentially dangerous installations and the home owners have no idea how dangerous they can be.

I think PME and TN-C-S should never have been allowed, but unlikely to see that change now. As to trip hazards, that's also becoming a problem. The caravan lead was bad enough, but the EV lead is so stiff, and so easy to leave in loops, however that's nothing to do with this case. At least where I live (Wales) supplies to garden are still notifiable, so one hopes that members of a scheme will not install anything dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back