Electric Car Charger

Where has my maths gone wrong? Holds 35.2 litres which equals 7.74 gallons and once the petrol engine kicks in it has a 310 mile range giving 40 miles to the gallon when using petrol engine.

How do they get 235.4 miles per gallon?

Even including the 50 miles on battery still only 46.5 miles per gallon. If one looks at how far it will go on one gallon of petrol then 90 miles so how one can state 235.4 miles per gallon when the manufactures figures show it will go 90 miles with fully charged battery and one gallon I don't know.

Yes with one litre of petrol in the tank it will travel 58.8 miles which yes would mean 58.8 miles per litre which if multiplied by 4.546 is 267 miles per gallon but one would also have to multiply the batteries by 4.546 which clearly does not happen.

In other words it's a big con!

Yes, that MPG figure is nonsense.

Running on generator power I get about 45mpg at 70mph on the motorway, rising to 50mpg if I drive below 60mph.

Sponsored Links
There are some people who take the building of hi-tech soap box carts very seriously, have competitions etc, and they use flywheels for braking - rather than throw away kinetic energy when you need to slow down for a bend, store it in the flywheel and then release it on the straight.

The rules for calculating mpg are given in a European Directive (yes, more EU greenwash) that assumes most of the journeys are within the range achievable on the batteries.

Running on generator power I get about 45mpg at 70mph on the motorway, rising to 50mpg if I drive below 60mph.
You can get those sorts of figures from "mechanical" cars if you're careful - I would have thought that the engine in yours would do better, as it can be run at a constant speed at its most efficient setting.

Sponsored Links
You can get those sorts of figures from "mechanical" cars if you're careful - I would have thought that the engine in yours would do better, as it can be run at a constant speed at its most efficient setting.
I drive a VW Jetta 1.6 Bluemotion, and get around 80 mpg on a run in warm weather. Overall average is over 70 mpg. Admittedsly I drive quite slowly, and most of my mileage is on motorways, but even in a hurry I can get 60+ mpg. I've checked the trip computer against the actual consumption and it's pretty well spot on.

The problem with the Ampera is that the energy in the fuel is being transformed to electrical energy then into mechanical energy, so you don't gain as much as you'd think by running the engine close to maximum efficiency.

The rules for calculating mpg are given in a European Directive (yes, more EU greenwash) that assumes most of the journeys are within the range achievable on the batteries.

Which in my case is true - I haven't bought any petrol since Christmas and the tank is still 2/3 full.

Sooner or later some rapacious chancellor will start taxing electricity used to charge electric cars at the same levels as hydrocarbon fuels. Maybe LPG initially, but I'm surprised that that has remained as low as it has.

Sooner or later some rapacious chancellor will start taxing electricity used to charge electric cars at the same levels as hydrocarbon fuels. Maybe LPG initially, but I'm surprised that that has remained as low as it has.

Yes, I agree that sooner or later that will happen. But I don't think it will happen until there are enough electric cars on the road to make it worthwhile.

Currently, they are looking at how to increase take-up of EVs. I've had several interviews with various research companies working for the DOT, looking at this. At the moment the cost of the batteries means there is a significant price premium on EVs and I think that will have to come down before they become commonplace.

I find the fuel consumption figures quite interesting, generally talking of 45 - 50 mpg for modern engines. The best fuel consumption I achieved on normal motoring was 60mpg at 70mph motorway, 60 if I was naughty and did 80 mph and 55 town work. The car? An L reg Montego Diesel Countryman with a Perkins 2litre engine, and that was carrying full loads. It had to go when the engine died at 350,000 miles.

Do these rules attempt to calculate, and include, a notional 'petrol usage' figure for the generation of electricity used to charge the batteries?

If not, as Eric has pointed out, the closer one gets to the situation in which all journeys are 'battery only', the closer will the apparent mpg (miles driven divided by petrol put into car) get to infinity!

Kind Regards, John

Sooner or later some rapacious chancellor will start taxing electricity used to charge electric cars at the same levels as hydrocarbon fuels.
Yes, I'm sure they would like to do that, and I've often seen it discussed. However, whilst it would obviously be easy to do for 'public charging' facilities, it's hard to see how it could be implemented (in a manner which was not easily circumnavigated) for 'home charging'.

Kind Regards, John

Do these rules attempt to calculate, and include, a notional 'petrol usage' figure for the generation of electricity used to charge the batteries?
Don't be silly John, that would be much too rational! Next you'll want the claims for carbon reduction to consider the energy/carbon used to make the batteries.

Don't be silly John, that would be much too rational! Next you'll want the claims for carbon reduction to consider the energy/carbon used to make the batteries.
Yes, my question was almost rhetorical :). However, I don't think it's me being silly and, even given what the manufacturers (and proponents of EVs) would like, I'surprised that an EU directive can be such as to be so 'silly' and potentially misleading. If, as you said, the rule relates to situations in which most journeys are 'battery only' then one can get almost any answer (mpg) one wants (up to, and including, infinity), depending on what number of 'petrol miles' is assumed - hardly useful to motorists!

Kind Regards, John

I agree in general. However the point of the directives is that all cars using a similar power source have a common set of rules for quoted fuel mileage, so the benefit to the motorist is not really about comparing EVs with internal combustion, but more about comparing EVs with each other. Perhaps they should also include a "miles per kilowatt-hour" figure.
Remember that EU Directives are written by EU staff following advice from lobbyists, rather than by transport engineers. They are already "unfair", in that the method of measuring exhaust emissions is much more benign for diesel engines than for petrol, and the emissions from LPG don't take account of the small amount of LPG that is emitted when disconnecting the pump nozzle from the car.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back