EV charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just a couple of questions on EV chargers.
We already have a 7kW EV charger installed, the ENA form was used and SSEN upgraded the supply fuse to 100A.
Now after a change of car, we need to change the charger for a different brand, still 7kW. Do we need to go through the whole process again of filling out the ENA and informing the DNO, or can we just change the charger like for like (energy-wise) with no further notification?
Secondly, I've read that car chargers need to have an SPD fitted. Is this a manufacturer's recommendation or part of the electrical Regs?
Any help gratefully received
M

Sponsored Links
Imho all you need to is get the EV charger changed - but why a different brand

You are not installing a new circuit so the lack of SPD is irrelevant

I take it its just the connector that is different. i.e. you need to change from a type 1 to a type 2. Just get an electrician to change the charger for a type 2, you shouldn't need to involve the DNO.

Sponsored Links
That's my understanding too, but the manufacturer of the charger is asking for an SPD as part of the extended warranty

That's an interesting point. Are you saying that all new circuits require an SPD? e.g. if a new cooker or shower circuit is installed, an SPD will have to be fitted (presumably at the fuse box).

That's an interesting point. Are you saying that all new circuits require an SPD? e.g. if a new cooker or shower circuit is installed, an SPD will have to be fitted (presumably at the fuse box).

IIRC the current version of the regs allows customers to ask not to have one fitted

Problem is the SPD is just the latest money making Reg implemented by the manufacturers who have too much influence over the changes

My understanding is old chargers did not connect to the DNO, so if there is a high demand the DNO can't turn the charger off, but new chargers are connected to the DNO, so they can shed load if there is a high demand.

There have also been some safety upgrades, the loss of PEN is seems is increasing, and protection against loss of PEN has been upgraded.

Be it solar panels or EV charging it seems the rules are changing all the time, so we have to rely on the people fitting these devices to keep up to date with the changes. However I note with solar panels it depends on the billing agent as to what is required. So likely you will need to ask the installer or your billing agent as to what is required.

, but new chargers are connected to the DNO, so they can shed load if there is a high demand.
No chargers are connected to the DNO or anyone else.
There is no remote switch off, load alterations or anything similar - the nearest to that at the moment is where you can choose to have your energy supplier adjust the charging times based on what generation capacity and sources are available. That is opt in only and can be bypassed locally at any time.

but the manufacturer of the charger is asking for an SPD as part of the extended warranty
No SPD = no warranty.

In any event, the SPD is primarily there to protect the battery charger in the vehicle.
The charger in the vehicle is what converts AC to DC, supplies that DC to the battery, balances the battery cells, monitors battery temperature, current, voltage and all the rest. It's an expensive part of the vehicle.

The 'charger' on the wall is just a box which switches on 230V AC when required and in some cases can communicate to the car that the charge power is limited to a certain value.

Now after a change of car, we need to change the charger for a different brand, still 7kW. Do we need to go through the whole process again of filling out the ENA and informing the DNO,
No, the load hasn't changed which is all the DNO are concerned with.

What's wrong with the original one?

No, the load hasn't changed which is all the DNO are concerned with.

What's wrong with the original one?
Although it's worth pointing out that if the original agreement included the provision that load curtailment would be present then it still must be present for the new chargepoint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back