Wiring for EV charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would an electrician be allowed to fit the wiring for an EV charger and leave the installation of the charging unit until a later date? We are having new carpets and decorating and now is the ideal time for the work. But we haven't got the car yet and probably won't until next spring so we'd like to decide about the actual charger after doing more research. We know already that we want 7kw but that's about all.

Sponsored Links
So everything would be in place but disconnected at the CU? Would these preparations involve some kind of termination outside or would it all be inside?

The problem is paperwork, to sign the installation certificate the person must do the work or at least be in charge. There are three signature installation certificates, design, installation and inspection and testing but don't think these are used with scheme providers so once you select a firm that firm needs to do all the work.

There is no problem with work taking 4 or more years, it is the date it was designed that matters, so if I had started work in 2003 then it would need to comply with BS7671:2001 not BS7671:2008 or BS7671:2018 but you would of course need to paperwork to show design date.

But although the IET/BSi regulations allow that, not sure about scheme providers, so you may need to use the LABC route.

As it stands we are in flux with debates on how to handle TN-C-S earthing systems with EV charging, what it means is not important to you, but if in the future we use a different way around the problem needing say 5 core instead of 3 core cable that could mess it up, already we have seen changes, early systems needed earth rods, there are some now which don't need them, and early systems were not linked to DNO so they can remotely turn off car charging if there is a supply problem.

I am sure in this house I could lay cables for a charging point at bottom of garden without a problem. For caravans think we need 2.7 meters from a building, if any rule like that is made for EV then clearly you could have problems complying with some houses.

So yes you can fit the cable now, but that means selecting what type of charger now and where it will go, and agreeing to use same electrician to complete the work. So clearly not a sole trader.

Sponsored Links
I have TNS according to my electrician. He is affiliated to a company and has done many installs. But the Web interface is very clunky and it seems that the default way to use the charger is via an app, hence my wish to look around at other providers. If I do fit a charger soon, would it be OK to leave it disconnected/unused for 4 or 5 months? I really don't want to buy a new car in the winter; as I said, imminent refurbishment is the only reason I'm considering a partial install now.

Here one would struggle to get it fitted in 4 to 5 months, so would not consider that as a delay. I find TN-S is a problem as it can change without informing you to TN-C-S, but it is likely the best system for EV charging points.

To overcome all these issues, couldn't you just put in a flexible conduit with pull-strings, so the correct wires can be pulled in when you are sure what they are?

That's a good idea. It would avoid disturbing the new carpet. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back