Which chop saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a basic chop saw - i'll be using it to cut structural timbers to size initially. Only using occasionally. No idea where to look or what to look for. Don't want to spend more than I have to. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
B&Q then.
They have a few different ones. I bought a Macallister from them about 6 years ago for £129, its a sliding one that cuts up to 305mm at 90° and a laser line). Changed the blade once, not had an issue with it tbh.

Depends on your budget i guess, when you say structural timbers, so something like 2x7 size?

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...vel-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-MMS210SL-210mm-10668119 should suit your needs

I've got an Evolution Rage that I like - cuts timber with screws and nails too.

Sponsored Links
My pleasure. There are obviously better and far more expensive products out there, but power tool brand snobbery sometimes creeps in when its not warranted.
Mine has served me well for 6 years and has definitely had some hammer i can tell you. A friend borrowed it for a full garden decking project.
I've cut all sorts of timber and laminate flooring planks with it. I think it was those that eventually degraded the blade. So i bought a decent quality blade re-aligned it all and it works spot on.

The Evolution one has tempted me a few times as it will cut nails and plastic piping too.

edit: heh, Joe beat me to it.
Joe, you recommend the Rage then?

I like it. It's light, portable, reasonably accurate when you get used to it and cuts through nails like they aren't there.

I've got a rage. I bought it for cutting unistrut as I already have a rexon chop saw that I really like, but I find my self using the rage nearly all the time.

It's cuts aren't always 100% square, but they are always near enough for what I do, and for the money I have no complaints at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back