Which combi boiller for loft converstion..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a loft conversion on a mid-terraced 4 bed house. At the moment we have 1 combi Vaillant boiler for ground floor and 1 st floor with 4 bed and 2 bathrooms. We are planning to get another bedroom with en-suite in the loft and probably will need another small combi boiler as our current one will not cope with demand. Could you please advise the best one I shall get ?? Your advise on this is greatly apprecaited.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
go unvented cylinder and normal boiler, could even go with solar if your having the roof ripped about

Will this be enough for hot water and heating supply for this room only? can you advise on any best makes and models?

Thank you.

I'm doing a loft conversion on a mid-terraced 4 bed house. At the moment we have 1 combi Vaillant boiler for ground floor and 1 st floor with 4 bed and 2 bathrooms. We are planning to get another bedroom with en-suite in the loft and probably will need another small combi boiler as our current one will not cope with demand.
I assume you are talking about the water demand.

What is your existing boiler?
What is the cold water flow rate at the kitchen cold tap?

Sponsored Links
the unvented and system boiler would do the whole house, you won't need two boilers, get around a heating engineer (gas safe) to advise, should do this free i would think

the unvented and system boiler would do the whole house, you won't need two boilers, get around a heating engineer (gas safe) to advise, should do this free i would think

yeah get him round to draw up exactly what you need,draw up some plans,spec everything out for you then take all you have learned and get 40 quotes and dont stop til you get the cheapest,also stick it on myhammer/my tradesman websites.while your at it pop round and boff his missus :rolleyes:

If you go for the cheapest you'll pay in the long run, If you do go
un-vented make sure they have an un-vented ticket

Thank you all for your replies. My current combi boiler - Vaillant (sorry don't know the exact model) for sure will not be sufficient as we already have problem now with water presure if somebody is taking shower in 1st floor bath and somebody else using a sink in the 2nd bathroom.

I need a new boiler for the loft - just for this room - to cope with the water supply to a small bathroom and heating (new gas pipes required) - I think it will be cheaper solution then changing our existing Vaillant for a more powerful one to cover the whole house with 5bed, 3bath etc...

Your advise is very valuable , Thank you

Unless you intend to get another mains supply into the house having a second boiler may not give you the solution you require; both combination boilers will be using the same supply at the same time so you will not see much improvement if any plus servicing/maintenance is doubled.

The only benefit I can see is less wait and wastage where the source of the hot water is close to the point of use (do not sniff at the cost of heating wasted water with long draw-off runs between heater and tap).

If you have the room and pressure and flowrate the unvented cylinder may be a better solution.

If not go two combis but not for the reasons you originally gave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back