Which Combi? (yes, that old chestnut...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry to ask this question – I know you all must be bored with this one now…

We’ll be replacing our Combi shortly, and just looking for some opinions and thoughts and what’s good out there (and any that would be best to avoid). Here’s the story…

We currently have an old Halstead 30/90 which has been great – has been pretty reliable (considering its age) and, over the years, when it has broken down has been easy to diagnose and repair myself (great troubleshooting flowchart in the manual). My neighbour on the other hand has a boiler made, it seems, almost entirely from plastic parts and his attempts to replace parts (diverter, etc.) have been pretty unsuccessful as parts are impossible to reach and can’t be replaced without major dismantling (then they won’t snap back together without leaks).

So I guess the question is – what would be a good condensing combi to go into our 1930’s 3 bed 1 bathroom mid-terrace house (about 10 rads)? Something reliable and made of solid compression fittings I can easily repair in future if I need to (not any plastic snap-fit stuff). If it comes with good documentation and on-line info then all the better. Physical size (of the boiler itself) isn’t a great issue. Oh, I’d also like to install the timer switch on the other side of the wall (an easy exercise with the current boiler as I was able to get a £20 7-day timer from B&Q and connect it in place of the clockwork dial & pin effort in the boiler itself).

Budget is about £2K (fitted) but could stretch that a little if need be (as we’re going to have to live with it for a while – don’t want to cut any corners, so to speak).

Sorry – long question there. But any advice, help, pointers, etc. would be much appreciated as always.

Thanks,

G

Sponsored Links
ravenheat csi 120 or 150 the all metal boiler

full stainless steel heat exc , not composite stainless steel with the one way fuseable link

no rubber hoses , no plastic gas connection , all brass manifolds only plastic is the rear pump housing

could go for the inferior intergas no plastic on them afaik or remember ?

:)

Op wanted a boiler with no or very little plastic & non composite stainless heat exc (may be ?)

apart from raven & intergas does any one else make a non plastic non rubber boiler?

Otto von Veissmann ran out of ideas on how to connect the heat exc to the manifold so they sent fritz down to the germam equivalent of halfords for some rubber heater hose & hose clips. (maybe?)

mr worcs did the same with there gas pipe connection in the boiler :) and approached B&Q to sell more boilers :)

Ideal had to give a 7 year warranty in order to flog the logic due to the isar , icos, response fiasco ?? & than had to buy in biasi boilers & badge them as mini C's :)

potterton made a fortune flogging suprima pcb's & came along with the envoy :)

:)

All IMHO of course
;) :)

Sponsored Links
Transam: Ravenheat V Intergas? :unsure:

Well I might have gone a tadge over the top on that but none the less

The OP asked for a non plastic boiler or a boiler that has very little plastic
apart from intergas & raven I could not think of any other manu ??

as for the csi 120/150 apart from the main pcb , there is nothing fitted on it from any component manu , that other boiler manus do not use :) :)

& in any case I need to do something for my retainer ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back