Which combination storage boiler should i go for?

Now you mention it, the rhetoric did sound familiar. :rolleyes:
Won't be long before the old troll is barred again.

Sponsored Links
I still do not understand one point

there is mention that a house of this size should not have a combi - this is fair enough and never suggested

A combi storage ,which from what i understand is basically a normal boiler with a cylinder but built in so better than an ordinary combi

there has been mention of the atag, the german make above but not much mention of the potterton or alpha really - is this because they are no good or just not used much because there are better options

is it the case having a bigger storage i.e. the potterton is better than the bosch or alpha which is only 50 - or is the recharge time more inportant?

i get the impression the storage combination boilers do not get fitted much and amybe there is not a push towards them. my simple mind cannot see why they would not be a good choice in my situation
[/quote]

That seems like several points :)

Size of house is pretty much irrelevant. Combi boilers are perfectly suited to large houses and in fact tend to be thoroughly over-sized for small houses and flats, but they are best suited to situations where hot water requirements are limited to a single use at a time. One shower or bath, and preferably nobody else using hot water at all at the same time. More powerful combis and storage combis can partially work beyond this limit, but there is still a definite limit on the flow rate of hot water available. Anyone who has a routine need for two more-than-so-so showers going at once won't want a combi. Your incoming mains supply will also need to meet certain standards for pressure and flow that should be available in 99.9% of properties but unfortunately often aren't.

Yes, storage combis include a small tank of hot water that is used to supplement the flow rate of hot water for a period of time. The small size means it is suitable for about the length of a generous shower. Recharge time is not usually a big factor as any combi could heat the 50 or so litres in just a few minutes. Storage combis are more expensive to buy and slightly more expensive to run, potentially more expensive to maintain, and still have many of the limits of other combis. They are a good solution for the right situation such as someone who wants a rather powerful shower without buying a stupidly oversized boiler. Beyond the limits of the storage tank they become rather mid-range combis. Use for two bathrooms at once is still pushing the limits and you're likely to find your shower slowing to a light drizzle :) Larger storage might give you longer at high flow (check the specs carefully!) but how large do you want to go before you consider a full-size unvented cylinder?

One thing you should probably ponder is that "plumbers" hate combis and most people that have them think they're great. Go figure!

These comments are aimed at Gayton, big Burner etc

You mention that a combi passing through a fan coil is the most efficient. Clearly not more efficient than a modern Lennox warm air unit, so why mislead?

The reason God put water in radiators is that it is blessed with a high specific heat capacity. So the rads stay warm for long periods.

Air is not, which is why warm air systems warm up very quickly, but also lose heat similarly fast. Running a combi into a 20kw fan coil for a warm air system will work.

But if someone runs a long shower the house will go cold - the fan coil heat capacity would be exhausted less than a minute after the shower was run.

So, if you are three/four people living in a house heated using Gayton's proposed system, you'll go cold every morning.

It is poorly conceived contrivance, by a Billy Liar individual who posts with multiple aliases, and has even concocted a fictitious case study to support his need for credibility.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and what is a Blink warm air heater?

Is that a Chinese Brink?

Oh dear, no prize for me then :cry:

Sounds like CC is worth joining for the gossip.

Oh dear, no prize for me then :cry:

Sounds like CC is worth joining for the gossip.

join up Simon, Im sure your contributions will be valued. Alot of people have deserted this side thanks to the amount of trolls and so called "experts" who post here.

Size of house is pretty much irrelevant. Combi boilers are perfectly suited to large houses and in fact tend to be thoroughly over-sized for small houses and flats, but they are best suited to situations where hot water requirements are limited to a single use at a time.

Have you any exposure to high flow combis that can do two bathrooms?

Anyone who has a routine need for two more-than-so-so showers going at once won't want a combi.

Have you any exposure to high flow combis that can do two bathrooms?

Yes, storage combis include a small tank of hot water that is used to supplement the flow rate of hot water for a period of time. The small size means it is suitable for about the length of a generous shower.

Have you any exposure to high flow combis that can do two bathrooms? Like the W-B 550?

and still have many of the limits of other combis.

A W-B 550 gives 25 litres per minute for 3 minutes and then 17 litres a minute for ever after that.Sounds good to all others.

One thing you should probably ponder is that "plumbers" hate combis and most people that have them think they're great. Go figure!

They do plumbers out of needless rip-off work.

These comments are aimed at Gayton, big Burner etc

Who is big Burner?

You mention that a combi passing through a fan coil is the most efficient. Clearly not more efficient than a modern Lennox warm air unit, so why mislead?

The Multicalor gives 20kW,heated by a combi, or any other boiler. IT matches any 20kW Lennox.

The reason God put water in radiators is that it is blessed with a high specific heat capacity. So the rads stay warm for long periods.

God would never do such a pagan thing.

Air is not, which is why warm air systems warm up very quickly, but also lose heat similarly fast. Running a combi into a 20kw fan coil for a warm air system will work.

I thought you were sating the Multicalor or J&S Aquair do not work. Air heat up fast which a great advantage. So it cools quick which is irrelevant as when off you don't want the heat.

But if someone runs a long shower the house will go cold - the fan coil heat capacity would be exhausted less than a minute after the shower was run.

So, it goes off for 10 minutes or so. Not a problem in modern well insulated homes. I know I have had these fitted.

So, if you are three/four people living in a house heated using Gayton's proposed system, you'll go cold every morning.

That is nonsense. Like any combi system you make sure the house is heated up to temp before you get up.

It is poorly conceived contrivance, by a Billy Liar individual who posts with multiple aliases, and has even concocted a fictitious case study to support his need for credibility.

Do you see shadows following you as well. It is clear you do not have any experience of high flow combis hitched to AHUs, as you made all that up.

CC is the Combustion Chamber, where the gas qualified folk hang out...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back