Which comes first knotting or SANDING etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everybody. I am about to make garden furniture from softwood.

Do I sand first or do I do the knotting first please?

What about the parts that will be joined to others? Will the join protect the ends from the elements, or do you think I should put something on, say creosote?

I am not going to use ordinary gloss to finish it all off, has anyone use anything lately that they got on with?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Once sanded, apply the knotting solution as per the instructions.
Finish wise, always pay great attention to end grain to minimise rot.
Certainly I’d never paint outdoor timber furniture, rather colour with something from the Sikkens range.
John :)

Thank you Burner man, How silly of me I meant the thread to be called "Knotting or Sanding" not pianting.

May I suggest that you use Pressure Treated timber - buy from a woodyard not a DIY barn.
The cut ends and joints I'd coat with a spirit based preserver before using as Burnerman says use Sikkens to coat - I'd put one coat on before you fix together and final coat(s) after fixing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John and wgt. Your comment John about end grain is noted. Wgt , you mentioned one coat first. I was about to ask as my chairs will have slats, close together, will there be a problem if I sand, knot and paint (say with Sikkens, despite the cost) the "innards" of the slats, before I assemble
the chairs. By the way I AM using softwood as I have loads of it. Hope I am not doing the wrong thing.
Alan

OK - now at a desk computer and understand why you are using prefered timber.

So my recomendation is then as follows :-
Cut all timber to size and make up joints etc.
Sand what will be all exposed surfaces.
With all timber in individual peices either soak or apply 2 genrous coats of 'Cuprnol' or a similar wood preserver.
Now is the time to use a 'Knotting' paint - you need a clear one.
Once dry apply one coat of 'Sikken' wood stain.
Glue up/fix together as appripriate.
Apply 1 or better still 2 coats of wood stain.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Now I know the procedure. That was getting at me a bit. What about the cost, it all seems hugely expensive, I will look it up if the websites tell you the coverage but what is your experience with that? In other words, is it not as bad as it sounds?
So grateful for your help.
Alan

Oh goodness, all this talk about using softwood. I have been practicing my joints and have suddenly become nervous. about using softwood. I could use it to make something else as I have beenthinking about Iroko, not too pricey.

Any comments kind folk?

Alan

No, no comments nowas my recent request, I have started with my softwood and taking your advice re prep and finishes.

Thank you, you've givenme the confidence to go ahead.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back