Which configuration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we want to do some changes to our house. We want to convert the garage into a home office, but using part of it as a utility room.

What we can't decide is which layout to go for. A is what it currently is. B & C are the two proposals. In both, the door to the home office will both be in the same position. The differences are ultimately where entrance to the utility room will be located.

In B, the current doorway to the garage will be bricked up with a door connecting the kitchen to the utility room installed. Access to outisde will remain from the kitchen.

In C, the kitchen dooryway will be blocked up, keeping the current garage door for outside access, with a door connecting utility room to the kitchen.

Both options will provide similar cupboard/unit space, just differing whether it will be in the kitchen or UR.

What are everyones thoughts? Which would you prefer? This isn't a forever home but we'll be here for a while but want to gauge what peoples preferences might be when we come to sell.

Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• Proposed changes.jpg
    Proposed changes.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
'C' - will keep the kitchen floor cleaner. The SO will be much happier. You'll be changing shoes/boots in the future utility room.
With 'B' you'll have pass through the kitchen to go outside/come in.

I agree with using the utility room to get out of dirty or soiled clothes and/or footwear. I have to go into our utility room to exit into the garden or the alley way. If I'm hauling out rubbish, doing gardening or any messy work, it's easier to go into the utility room to get in/out of dirty clothes. A sink in there makes it easier to wash up.

Sponsored Links
Also if you go for 'C' then the wife can have more kitchen units, that will make her happy.

Andy

C but would have door to utility closer to outside wall and open into kitchen to give more useful space.
Would give more space over to utility, get all appliances in there.

Now I'd suggest C, but move the door to the utility room closer to the lounge wall; this would then allow you to extend the kitchen units right around to it. Are you doing this under planning permission, and will you be insulating the walls properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back