How to deal with doors at different levels when building a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'd like to ask your advice about building a floor for my utility room. The rooms are laid out something like this (not to scale).

S0Wlq2h.png

The problem is that the door to the kitchen and to the garden are both about a brick and a half up off what I presume is a concrete floor so you step down into the utility room. The door to the garage, or rather the doorway as there's no door there currently, is on the concrete floor itself.

What I was hoping to do was to build a new floor, a moisture barrier, a layer of insulating foam board, some plywood and then some lino or something, but the doorway (and later door) to the garage creates a problem.

I was thinking about making a step down in the utility room just before the garage, but there's a pretty small space to do it and it'd be right by the kitchen door. You can see in the first photo which is taken from the kitchen doorway that the fridge freezer almost straight ahead and in a later photo that it's nearly touching the wall by the garage door.

Any ideas?

Photos here;

4HEQC5O.jpg

Doorway into garage

BwtOKR3.jpg

Door into kitchen

J0fF3TB.jpg

Door to garden

mWAdyYA.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's common practice (regs?) to have a step down in to the garage, so a higher floor level in the house room that leads to the garage. I presume it's to stop water/chemical ingress or similar?

If you do this you can install your floor as intended, job, jobbed.

I think it is regs to either have a step or a slope.

I'm more concerned about the how to do it, or at least how to do it well.

I could install a floor in the utility room and bring it up to the level of the rest of the house. It'd work well for the two doors on the correct level.

That'd then block off part of the bottom of the doorway to the garage.

I could cut off part of a regular door and install it in the (shorter after installation) doorway, but it'd look quite strange. I believe the current regulations also require any newly installed one to be a self-closing fire-resistant door.

Sponsored Links
Yes a fire door is required IIRC. Are you able to increase the door opening height? Would it be a "silly" small door if it stays as is? If not you could always have one made, expensive but do-able.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back