Which Consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have rewired the house and want to replace the C/U and am competent to do the job.

I dont have expertise in iee regulations but have thus far done the maths and not broken any rules on cable size or overloading of light radial circuits etc.

Is it better to have for example a 10 way C/U with 100 amp isolator with mcbs on all the circuits or a split load C/U and run the kitchen ring on the isolator side without rcd/mcb protection.

Regards in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I would question whether you are "competent to do the job" if you're contemplating having the kitchen ring without mcb protection....

Sponsored Links
Just to add in what the two have said "if you have to ask, you cannot be considered as competent"......but you have so far rewired your property, so regardless of what us "professionals" recommend, you will more than likely install the new consumer unit any-hows....

Size of board depends on how many circuits you have plus a few more spare ways just for future requirements.....but there is a lot more to it than just replacing "like for like"; what earthing arrangments have you got, have you measured the earth fault loop impedance (Ze), are all readings acceptable (R1+R2) etc....

Any socket outlet that is reasonable expected to power equipment for outdoor use should be protected by a 30mA RCD (I personally class any socket outlet on the ground floor to be used outdoors, even a cooker point with socket outlet).....

Also...are you competent to certify you own work as regulations state that all documentation/records/installation certificate should be readily available....if you where to sell your property and had to get an electrician to inspect the installation, they could note that these are not available and would make the periodic inspection report unsatisfactory (code 1 / NICEIC recommedations....sorry ban) and there is nothing you can do about it untill you can inspect & test your own work.....

Good luck... ;)

Does this mean I can't say " I haven't got them as the L/A did the work before we bought it ?

Sorry, should of cleared that up a bit more......any new installation within a 12 month period (NICEIC recommendations, not mine).

ban-all-sheds said:
I would question whether you are "competent to do the job" if you're contemplating having the kitchen ring without mcb protection....

I think what he meant was should he have it without RCD protection, not MCB.

I see what your asking, and i'm not going to repeat the good advice given above.

You are nearly right.

Split load C/U means part of it is protected by RCD.

The idea is to prevent nucience tripping of the RCD. Light bulbs are good at doing this when they meet their maker.

I would not recomend putting the kitchen on the non RCD protected side. I would suggest putting the lighting circuits on it though.

i would also recomend that you doulble check your expected load has not increased. new c/u does not equal new supply.....

Stuart.

This is for hsiboy......

I am wrong in thinking that hsi is something to do with health & safety...or am I way off....

sterose said:
ban-all-sheds said:

I think what he meant was should he have it without RCD protection, not MCB.

It would be comforting to think that, wouldn't it.

But that's not what he wrote. I agree it would be nice to think he was just careless in what he wrote, but who knows?

One thing I have learned in my time here is that there really are people out there who are so clueless that they must surely need a map to find their way home each day.

For example yesterday on the Screwfix forum somebody posted because the 12V adapter on his desklamp had broken and he wanted to know if he could fit a normal plug instead.... :eek:

ban-all-sheds said:
One thing I have learned in my time here is that there really are people out there who are so clueless that they must surely need a map to find their way home each day.

For example yesterday on the Screwfix forum somebody posted because the 12V adapter on his desklamp had broken and he wanted to know if he could fit a normal plug instead.... :eek:

tell me about it, :rolleyes: for my sins i have "my fingers in a few pies" and i get some questions that are just as bad, i think in regard to electrical work, as has been said before, some things some people just shouldn't do. But in a way i feel sorry for them, its a pity you can not buy "common sense in a box", i would make a fortune, but then perhaps not, as they wouldn't have the common sense to notice that they needed it

hsiboy

I would say in my experience that when a lamp pops off, it is more likely to trip the mcb/ rewireable than the rcd.

Yo. I don't have a split-load CU, and I've never known a blown bulb to trip the RCD. MCBs yes, every 'kin time (but then they are Type 1s so even more pernickety then Type Bs)

il78 said:
This is for hsiboy......

I am wrong in thinking that hsi is something to do with health & safety...or am I way off....

ah yes, way off :D

securespark said:
I would say in my experience that when a lamp pops off, it is more likely to trip the mcb/ rewireable than the rcd.

I agree, i wrote it all ass backwards.

What i meant to write was.

Light bulbs are known to cause tripping when they meet their maker, but we usualy put them on the non rcd protected side to prevent plunging the house into darkness when the rcd trips. i have just read that back and it still dont make any sense. maybe it does. why is it you can do something that makes perfect sense and not be able to explain it? need coffee. me thinks.

anyhoo...

I am interested in bulbs blowing rewireables (you talkin BS 3036 here?) considering their fuse times....

ban-all-sheds said:
... I've never known a blown bulb to trip the RCD....

nope me neither, but there is a reason for that ;)

i'm off now to write out a hundred lines:

i must read, read and re read my replies before posting them.
i must read, read and re read my replies before posting them.....

Stuart :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back