which cutting wheel for 22mm Sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, I have a 10"? angle grinder (6500rpm) and a 115 angle grinder (8500rpm), the larger one is a heavy thing to work with.

What is the best wheel for cutting some 22mm sandstone slabs? I dont mind which size to get, but I had a spare disc that did cut fairly well, but finally all used up.

Sponsored Links
Any particular make to try or avoid? I looked at some cheap diamond disks and the low star reviews all said avoid as they dont last and/or dont cut.

Sponsored Links
I would use the 10" grinder.

Another plus one for Macrist, but the the tiles are so soft that a lower quality blade will be fine.

If you have a lawn, and don't mind the odd score mark, do it on the lawn. Alternatively buy a couple of bags of sand and cut it on those.

A 115mm disk will cut up to 30mm but you won't be able to see what you are doing as easily because the guard will obscure your view.

At a guess the 10" will be up to 4 times faster.

I have done it with both, and now will always go for the 10 inch.

Thin sandstone cuts easily with the smaller grinder , if the machine is used correctly you can see the entire cut.

Thin sandstone cuts easily with the smaller grinder , if the machine is used correctly you can see the entire cut.

True but the OP says that it is 22mm thick, A 115mm diamond blade has a depth of cut of 30mm. The guard covers about 35% of the blade. The OP will be able to see very little of the line. With a 9 inch they will be able to see the whole line.

I agree that it is a bit more tiring but the cut will be much faster.

For the record, when I first tried to cut 22mm sandstone with a 115mm grinder, I found that the guard left marks on the tiles, so I borrowed 9 inch grinder. It was the first time that I have ever used a 9 inch grinder. I actually found that it was easier to maintain a straight line.

Well when the 9" wheel was getting small I put it in the smaller grinder, and it did seem easier to use, but the groove was already started. It ran out before I finished though. It had already cut about 3 metres of 22mm stone, so reasonable. The 9" is a beast though, quite heavy, but inertia helps keep it in place I suspect. As I am not a professional, and do not see the need to cut too much more, I have to cut about 3 metres more I think I will go for a 115mm diamond stone, it should last enough. The smaller one is a 20V brushless, and I have some 5Ah batteries for it, it should be ok.
The disks provided with it were not suitable for stone, thats for sure.

True but the OP says that it is 22mm thick, A 115mm diamond blade has a depth of cut of 30mm. The guard covers about 35% of the blade. The OP will be able to see very little of the line. With a 9 inch they will be able to see the whole line.

I agree that it is a bit more tiring but the cut will be much faster.

For the record, when I first tried to cut 22mm sandstone with a 115mm grinder, I found that the guard left marks on the tiles, so I borrowed 9 inch grinder. It was the first time that I have ever used a 9 inch grinder. I actually found that it was easier to maintain a straight line.
If you left marks with the guard you have the wrong one fitted or not using correctly.

If you left marks with the guard you have the wrong one fitted or not using correctly.

They were minor scuff marks. I guess I could have removed the guard but I didn't want to use the angle grinder without the guard. As I said earlier, a 115mm angle grinder has a cut depth of 30mm, when cutting something 22mm deep the guard is either going to obscure the cut line or drag over the surface. If you remove the guard and accidentally drop down by 8mm, which is easily done, then the spindle nut will hit the tiles

On the same job I cut many meters of 10mm porcelain tiles with a smaller angle grinder. Longer straight cuts were done with a Rudi wet diamond cutter. I didn't particularly want to use a hefty 9" grinder. I used the 9" because I was working for a very good friend. Once I had set up a convenient grinding/cutting platform, using the heftier grinder really wasn't a big deal. The floor tiles were 1.2m by 0.6cm long, too awkward for my wet cutter.

They were minor scuff marks. I guess I could have removed the guard but I didn't want to use the angle grinder without the guard. As I said earlier, a 115mm angle grinder has a cut depth of 30mm, when cutting something 22mm deep the guard is either going to obscure the cut line or drag over the surface. If you remove the guard and accidentally drop down by 8mm, which is easily done, then the spindle nut will hit the tiles

On the same job I cut many meters of 10mm porcelain tiles with a smaller angle grinder. Longer straight cuts were done with a Rudi wet diamond cutter. I didn't particularly want to use a hefty 9" grinder. I used the 9" because I was working for a very good friend. Once I had set up a convenient grinding/cutting platform, using the heftier grinder really wasn't a big deal. The floor tiles were 1.2m by 0.6cm long, too awkward for my wet cutter.
As I said earlier the Guard doesn’t obscure cut because you don’t look down the blade.

As I said earlier the Guard doesn’t obscure cut because you don’t look down the blade.

anglegrinder.jpg
The grey area is the thickness of the tile, allowing for a little bit of the blade to go through the tile....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back