Which Digital Multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to get a tester and are not sure which one to go for, a little help if you would.

These are what i have looked at so fa:

UNI-T DIGITAL MULTIMETER UT58A
Anton EX430 Digital Multimeter
Fluke 113 Utility Multimeter W/TL75 Test Leads
EX430 Digital Multimeter with Type K Temperature

???

Cheers
Cornel

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot to mention that I need this to use when I service boilers.

But they tend not to service boilers, and actually they don't use multimeters in a professional capacity.

Best move it back....

But they tend not to service boilers, and actually they don't use multimeters in a professional capacity.

Best move it back....

You can bet your life that the equipment used by an electrician when fault finding on a machine (probably not a boiler though) will include a multimeter.

I've always used Fluke multimeters myself so would automatically go for that option if it can measure what you require it to to.

Sponsored Links
From an electronics engineers point of view - Fluke every time. (but I still get the old AVO8 analog out for some jobs).
Sometimes ex MOD rugadised Flukes (model 25) come up for sale and these are a good buy.

You can bet your life that the equipment used by an electrician when fault finding on a machine (probably not a boiler though) will include a multimeter.
Yo - sorry - I was taking the narrow view of just installation work :oops:

This does seem to be one of those cases where a duplicate post should be allowed, as there may be specific boiler-fault-finding niceties that some models have. (e.g. a little light which comes on when it's time for the plumber to start slowly shaking his head whilst audibly breathing in through his teeth :LOL: )

(but I still get the old AVO8 analog out for some jobs).
Do you know what the list price on those was when they went out of production a year or two ago? :eek:

Do you know what the list price on those was when they went out of production a year or two ago?

Last price I remember for an AVO8 Mk7 was about £600.00 a couple of years ago.

Add more than 50% by the time it died.

And even then, apparently, it was the inability of Megger to source the parts they needed, not lack of demand, which killed it.

I've got a Fluke 170series. Lovely bit of kit. If you can afford it, get one of those, they are bulletproof.

Don't get me started on AVO 8's.
I've got a Mk2, 4, 5, 6 .....
I said don't get me started!! :D
My Mk5 has got a lovely leather case with two sets of test probes. :)
They really are very nice, probably even worth the £800 or so quid they were to buy new. Wouldn't fancy dropping one off a ladder though - which is something my Fluke 170 series (175 I think) doesn't seem to mind at all.

Don't get me started on AVO 8's.
I've got a Mk2, 4, 5, 6 .....
I said don't get me started!! :D
My Mk5 has got a lovely leather case with two sets of test probes. :)
They really are very nice, probably even worth the £800 or so quid they were to buy new. Wouldn't fancy dropping one off a ladder though - which is something my Fluke 170 series (175 I think) doesn't seem to mind at all.

I've got what I think is a mark 1, but I need batteries, cables, and a strap. :(

Google for it - (try "avo 8 history" or summat?) eventually you'll find a website which has an article which has details of a company that makes adapters so that you can stick modern cells inside the battery compartment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back