Which Drill / Screwdriver ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps I need your help I am a complete disaster when it comes to doing DIY. Even putting up a shelf is a bit beyond me because I don't have the proper tools. I have a black & decker drill but feel what I really need is one of these cordless drills come screwdrivers, variable speed would be good. So I went to B&Q and there were loads so which one do you suggest for basic drilling and screwdrivering now and again ??
What are the other features that are nice to have and which features are a must have ? Any makes & models would be much appreciated.
Budget wise I am not to bothered but lets say around £100.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo mrnice and welcome

functions of the drill
twin speed [mechanical gearbox]for slower cutting in metal and using as a screwdriver
variable speed [electronic control]slow slow for screws
hammer action essential for drilling into walls
voltage greater the voltage greater the power[i would recomend 18v or over]
ah amp hours greater the ah more fuel in the tank
minimum of two 1.5 ah batteries with a charge time off 1 hr or less recomended

you can get sds with rotary stop but i think you should stop with a drill with all the features above

Hi mate and thanks for taking the time to reply ....

Are these two things the same ?? can you get both of these in one drill / screwdriver

big-all said:
heeelllooo mrnice and welcome

twin speed [mechanical gearbox]for slower cutting in metal and using as a screwdriver
variable speed [electronic control]slow slow for screws

you can get sds with rotary stop

sds with rotary stop ???? I am afriad you have lost me on that one ....

the bit youll have the most trouble is choosing the right one but at about £60 youll get a drill with all the features
wouldnt worry about sds rotary stop drill unless your doing heavy drilling or breaking concrete

i personaly bought a ryobi for lighter work [i have corded and dewalt 18v heavy duty stuff] although i have drilled a 6mm by 76mm deep hole through ancient oak

this one
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...talogId=3151&productId=126581&clickfrom=image

this one will do what you want [as will mant others]and all the features you require dont use the philips bit supplies as most screws are pozi drive

you can even stock check and reserve this item on the argos site

Sponsored Links
Big-All Cheers
I have checked it out and it looks pretty good, I only need it for basic work... do you get all the screw head bits for it as well or do I need to buy these also. Never heard of teh make are they any good ????
Thanks again

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdCode=RYOTAKE5&ModelNum=TAKE5

i bought this set as a secondary lighter set so the heavy 24v bosch blue and 18vdewalt stuff could remain safely locked up when doing lighter work

the first thing i decided was 3 batterys was fairly useless for 5 tools
so i updated with a further drill the argos one to give me 5 batteries and two chargers so i have coverd all options

the ryobi in my oppinion is good to exelent value it performs well
i would clasify it as light trade and definatly good for diy

i would get a seperate drill bit and driver set the one underneath would do fine complying with you £100 budget and all at one shop

big-all said:
i would get a seperate drill bit and driver set the one underneath would do fine complying with you £100 budget and all at one shop

Could you repost this link it appears to be missing.
Many thanks for your help I am off to buy this one at the weekend.
Your help is really apprciated. Cheers
Take Care

Big-All
Cheers mate for all the advice. I picked it up at the weekend and tested it out on a few easy jobs jos a good un
Thanks.

Mr_Nice said:
Big-All
Cheers mate for all the advice. I picked it up at the weekend and tested it out on a few easy jobs jos a good un
Thanks.

i love playing with new toys as well :D :D :D ;)

the batteries take ages to charge but soon settle down to just under the hour [50 odd mins]

and the ring for the hammer action the yellow one near the chuck takes quite a bit of effort to twist it round to hammer till it wears in

Yeah I noticed it was difficult to get to hammer action thought that I may have been doing something wrong but of you found it tight then thats all OK your the expert :p

i never claim to be an expert thats why my banner says
we are ------------------all still learning :D :D :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back