Which felt to use for our shed roof and other tips...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 3x3 metre felted roof with a marginal downward slope.

Fortunately, the old roof lasted about 15 years, but the roof had been shot for a while and is in need of some TLC as rainwater has been leaking inside. When stripping the felt, which came off very easily, the boards on top were soaking wet.

I’m allowing it to air dry in that lovely sunshine before attempting to bring it back to life at the weekend. One of the boards at the back is rotten so I’ll be replacing that with new board.

So for my questions I’m a fairly competent DIY’er.
  • Do I paint the wood firstly with e.g. Black Jack all weather roofing coat?
  • Do I need an underlay underneath the felt or should I just purchase some good quality felt as below? Before stripping it, it appeared to have some underlay.
  • Would IKO ‘SUPER’ shed felt be appropriate for this job or do you have another recommendation?
  • I would not be using a blowtorch for this – just felt roof nails and some adhesive between the overlaps.
Anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks!
Sparks

IMG-7066.JPG

IMG-7065.JPG

IMG-7064.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi Sparks, I personally would overboard it with some cheap ply and cover it with epdm. Use the solvent glue system done and finished for less than £75.00 it will look really tidy and professional. Hope this helps.

Firestone EPDM rubber, easy enough for Diy.
Just a single sheet stuck down with firestone adhesive and then EPDM trim screwed around the edges.
EPDM is guaranteed for 30 years.
You can also get self adhesive roofing felt for shed roofs.
It is just ordinary mineral felt with bitty on it,
You don't need to heat it like torch on felt.
You just roll it out on the roof and it is supposed to stick to the deck.
EPDM or Butyl rubber would probably be easir installed though also no worry about leaking seams as the membrane comes in a single sheet.

Wow!! Nice one guys - just seen a youtube video on the EPDM stuff. It seems so simple and by far will be the best approach.
Do the DIY'ers stock this stuff guess I'll give it a google search.

Thanks again :D(y)

Sponsored Links
There will be a local stockiest for you Sparky, but eBay will give you an idea of sq m prices approx £6-£8 3 x3 and an extra 100 mm to go up and over your little upstands or edges, then bingo, browny points all round for you. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back