Which first - sand floors or paint walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just gearing up for a big long weekend of DIY-ing to complete our first project, the main bedroom. But when it comes to deciding which to do first - sand the floorboards or paint the walls - my boyfriend and I can't agree.
He's worried that if we sand and varnish first that even if we put dustsheets over the floor, we risk spilling paint splashes on our new floor.
I think that if we dust after painting it will mess up the walls, which we will have to wash down again (using matt paint too so worried this will affect colour).
If anyone has any advice based on their experience it would be a massive help!
Thanks
Louise

Sponsored Links
The way I would do it, is to sand the flooring first ready for treatment, clean up then cover the floorboards with sheeting, paint the walls and then remove sheeting and any spillage on floor lightly sand the area and treat the floor.

Forget about varnishing the floor, use a oil/wax such as these

Also see this from previous post.

Sponsored Links
Get all your sanding and pereperation done first, so you have clean sanded walls and floors. use decent dust sheets and tape around the edges and paint the walls. carefully remove them all and clean the floors again. if you are going to varnish them, use a tack cloth first to get all the dust up, seal the window with tape, varnish then close the door and seal it!

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back