Which Fused Spur Connection Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone say which connection the thin brown wire on the left thumbnail_IMG_1061.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1065.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1066.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1068.jpg is connected to?

I can't get any closer without removing the wires. I'm hoping someone will be familiar enough with them to confirm which connection it is.

Thank you very much,
Ray

Sponsored Links
Can you not see any markings on the device - use a small mirror?

At a guess, I would say it is the Supply Line(Live)

Thank you - there is room to place a mirror and take a picture now you mention it ... I'll do that later.

I think it is the on the input - permanently live side of the switch.

Is it an unusual thing to do as it would make the isolation properties of the switch redundant?

Ray

I think it is the on the input - permanently live side of the switch.
Yes, that was my guess.

Is it an unusual thing to do as it would make the isolation properties of the switch redundant?
It would.

It depends what the purpose of it is.
If it is something to do with the boiler or heating system, I would say it is a mistake (if our guess is correct).

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help EFL, this question is related to my post in the Plumbing Dept, if you'd be kind enough to have a look.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...heat-only-system-boiler.587988/#ixzz7MmkrrNbm

... where I've posted the mirror picture ... when you consider the neutral IN is on the left side looking from the back it's a fair bet the live IN is the one on the left at the top making the new thin brown wire live even when the fused spur is turned off.

Regards
Ray

Well, had a quick look at the plumbing thread but I agree with you.

I do not understand what they are saying.

There should be no permanent live supply to the boiler or accessories - other than the fact that the switch is left on permanently except when isolation is required.

The heating system should have one switch which isolates it all, therefore a separate unswitched permanent live is not allowed.

Also - in this picture:

upload_2022-3-6_20-57-29.png

IF IF IF that black wire at the bottom is the supply Neutral AND the blue wire is the other wire in a brown/blue cable - there appears to be only one brown wire and one blue wire - then it looks like the Neutral will be switched but not the brown so whatever that brown/blue cable supplies it is not correct.

As in that picture, can you not lever the switch up a bit, light and focus so we might see at least some of the markings - or, at least tell us what that terminal is?

I'll have a go at that as soon as I get chance ... as you can see it's at my son's house so I have to pick my time.

I had just been wondering what all the wires are for - it's supposed to be for the boiler and only needs 5 individual wires plus earths (if I'm not mistaken) and there seems to be 7 ... it must be feeding something else or the wires are cut off !

Live in - Neutral in - Live out - Live out - Neutral out

Thank you again for your continued interest
Ray

Live in - Neutral in - Live out - Live out - Neutral out
It depends on the system used.

In one of the diagrams on the plumbing thread, there could be many - if they were all connected to the Switched Fused (Spur) Connector Unit (the cable is the spur - pet hate).

All these I have circled red could be connected to the SFCU. Much easier to use a wiring centre as shown.

upload_2022-3-7_0-24-15.png

Last edited:
EFL Thank you for your help with this
As you'll see from the plumbing thread the wire is on the wrong side of the fused spur and will be rectified shortly.
Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back