Which Hinge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The hinges on the shutters of my son's playhouse have started to deteriorate and break at the join - I think they're meant for interior use only!

I'm trying to source some replacements/alternatives - they would need to allow the shutters to fully open.

The attached pictures should explain!

Any advice gratefully received.

DSC_1379.JPG

DSC_1380.JPG

Thanks

Sponsored Links
bcfcjwb1, good evening.

From the posted images you are looking for "Cranked Tee Hinges" or " Cranked Crook and Band Hinges"

If you google the above there are loads of heavy duty versions the ones you are looking for are light weight hinges.

Or how about looking for the maker of the Play house, if it was manufactured by a firm somewhere?

Ken.

the hinge fitted in the factory appears to be a pin hinge. It is a very cheap, poor quality hinge that is very quick to fit without skill. I wouldn't get another.

you can get cranked hook and band hinges, they are very strong and will last longer than pressed steel T-hinges, though they will cost more. I expect your door has ledges (horizontal battens) on the inside; fit the hinges so the screws and coach-bolts go into them. For that kind of door and shutter it is usually recommended that the "arm" of the hinge is a third the width of the door.

you might get them cheaper on ebay with combined postage.

A cranked hook and band is used when the door sits flush with the siding.
A straight hook and band will off set the door from the siding by the distance from the hinge pin centre line to the back of the securing plate.
The cranked design will work in the OP's case by fixing a packer behind the fixing plate which is the same thickness as the door.
The straight one might work. The last set I seen left the door off set from the siding by about 15mm - 20mm.
Finishing off a job today where I fitted 27 hook and band cranked hinges.
9 doors in total.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
bcfcjwb1, good evening again.

Of the two potential hinges you have located
1/. The Brass one? because of its material it should last some time? no corrosion problems?
Downside, the fitting of such hinges is a pain, get the position incorrect and there is no room for maneuvering the hinge and the door to get a good fit.

2/. The other hinge you have located?? in my opinion yes a possible answer, BUT??
The Downside of this hinge appears to be a double crank, meaning that on each side of the hinge pin there is an offset, in effect you only need a single offset, if you do get a double offset [the one you propose] then you would need to pack with timber to take up the gap between the door and the hinge.

Suggest you Google "single cranked flush hinge"

My search revealed --- that there are several such hinges, most common is 16.mm or 19.mm

Meaning if your doors are either of the above thicknesses then one or other of these hinge types will fit nice and snug, no Phaff and a one off easy fit.

Hope the above makes sense?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back