which is best...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hep2O or John Guest?

I am doing some misc DIY - and have already decided on plastic after reading the many debates on here and the rest of the interweb...

Just wondering if I'm best buying into the Hep2O system or the John Guest?

I'm moving a rad and cleaning up some mains cold water if it sways the decision either way?

Cheers

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Why do you say JG is best?

I've got a few (mains pressure) 22mm runs to put in, and am pondering the same decision.

Is it a no-brainer, or just 'an opinion'?

Sponsored Links
I quite like the new hep range comes with a 50 year gaurantee as well and find the pipe is more flexible and easier to work with.

What are the actual differences between the two that give rise to preference?

based on their advertising it looks like they are similar products - the Hep2O has an insert that locks in place - but offers no additional seal; the JG looks to have additional o-rings on the insert - so three o-rings in total.

Is this a good thing? will it reduce the pressure on the main O-ring?

the Hep2O look far better at advertising - more information out there - but how much is sales propoganda?

Just more considerations!

I've prefer hep2o on professional opinion, but JG is easier to take apart.

Non of it is as good as Tectite Classic, but as is the case with our trade, and the race to the bottom.... no fooker stocks it anymore because it is too expensive.

Tend to use Hep or Polypipe for pushfit when it is not temporary nowadays. I have an irrational dislike of John Guest fittings; although today in the CC we proved that their customer service is pretty good.

Race to the bottom is a good thing Dan, all this plastic rubbish is going to be re-piped in 5 - 20 years. Home owners who know they are staying in that property for life don't choose plastic.

Do you know what i was called to rip out over the last few days on a massive 119 build site, (council surveyors) gas tracpipe

Start a thread in the CC on the Tracpipe thing... would be interested to see why it needed ripping out.

Sadly pushfit is a necessary evil, but one i try and avoid if possible. Although saying that I have a fair old chunk of plastic pipe in my house when you add up the UFH and the (joint free) runs between manifolds and rads.

Big job starting soon where the builder has had enough of his plumber doing the service pipe work in pushfit and having thousands of pounds worth of leaks to rectify, so I am being paid to do it in press fit; which looks to be a happy medium.

My mouse has tonight made his yearly visit, no doubt the family is hiding somewhere as well.

Back on topic Hep2° pipe is loved by rodents and most vermin, whereas Speedfit they prefer the fittings.

Live in the country, best advice is avoid both.

5 trays of Rentokill should do for a start. :rolleyes:

The rats in Laaaandan are bigger than you ickle rodents John :LOL:

Granted they are better fed though ;).

Sending you my address BTW... mental day doing paperwork and such like. :evil:

Yet to see a rodent attack on plastic, and have seen the damage a determine rat will do to a concrete wall. Personally I am of the belief that copper is better, but rodents are no more attracted to plastic than they are any other building material.

Not true Dan.

They will always go for Hep in preference to JG.

Same with Armaflex and some other lagging, they love it.

Shot well over 20 Rats during the summer, 2-3 very large.

Squirrel, Pidgeon, and Jackdaw are a problem in the summer as well :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back