which is more cost effective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Always want to know the answer to this Q

Is it more efficient to keep the thermostat at 21 deg and keep the boiler ticking over throughout day/night in winter OR is it cheaper to turn the boiler on just when you come home from work. Usually room temperate is around 14 deg by the time I come home and its takes a good 2 hours to raise the temperature back to 21 deg. Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no way you want to maintain 21.
Maybe maintain 17/18 then increase.
But 17/18 would be far to warm for me at night. Each to there own comfort level.
Whilst we are allowed to. :confused:

First and foremost ensure your premises is thoroughly insulated otherwise neither would be cost effective.

Heat your house unoccupied to 15C, as low as this overnight if this suits.

Going below 14.5C for extended periods can cause deterioration of the building because of moisture absorption.

What you want is a Programmable Room stat, such as the Honeywell CM907 (wired) or CMT927 (wireless).

Sponsored Links
Try one system for a week and log the gas use.
Try the other for a week and…………….

Try one system for a week and log the gas use.
Try the other for a week and…………….

But that would only be effective if weather conditions were identical for the two periods!! :rolleyes:

It is cold
It is wet
It is january
It is England
I don’t expect much change, or am I too pessimistic?

:LOL:

You are right of course.
I believe that this question comes in the same category as combi vs tank. Everyone has an opinion but impossible to prove who is right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back