which is the better boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my boiler, I have been recommended intergas 36/40 combi and the Vailliant 938 eco tec combi. They both sound very good boilers therefore I am confused as to which one I should choose. I need to run 20 rads of the boiler and one shower. I would appreciate your feedback on any issues as well as good points on these boilers.
Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Dan, that is good to know. The plumber I want to do the job is not an expert with Intergas he fits Valliants in your opinion will he be ok to fit intergas or should I go with intergas expert.

Sponsored Links
Has the plumber done a heat loss calculation to determine what size boiler you need?

20 rads will be about 30kW, but you may not even need that. As for the HW side, unless you have a cold water intake over 16 litres/min (and a shower which can handle it) you don't need 40kW.

We have had issues with our heating, rads not heating up although most of them were replaced about 18 months ago. I have been told to get a better output boiler so it can cope with heating 20 rads. That's why we have decided to go for 40kw boiler. We want a combi for hot water. At the moment there is one shower which runs off the combi I was considering changing another electric shower over to run off combi as well, but I was not sure if it would be able to cope.

Last edited:
Unless the boiler is permanently firing on full chat trying to heat radiators then the problem of failing to heat may well lie elsewhere

Aristone boiler, bit old now, the nearest rads to the boiler get hot however the further ones suffer and only get luke warm. My house has a wide frontage so the rooms spread out in width, the house does not go that far back.

Then it's not primarily a boiler problem
You either need your system being balanced, pump checked out or sludge cleaned out of lines

Agree with all the above, Intergas is the boiler to go for but I'd be very surprised if you need 40kW to run 20 radiators unless your rooms/rads are all enormous. It sounds like you have a circulation problem, and a new boiler alone won't cure that. You don't replace the engine with a more powerful one if your car gets a puncture...you fix the puncture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back