Which laser level?

All very interesting & lots of perspective on what folks use & expect from a laser but has anyone noticed that the OP hasn’t actually acknowledged a single post that anyone has made yet :!:

Sponsored Links
Ah.... but were enjoying ourselves :)

I sometimes do work for 'customers' and i hate them because they ask you to give you a quote for some work and then never reply. Thank god I'm self funding!

On a total tangent, got some old people down my road and I do things for them for nothing. I do this as I know they are skint and they are nice people. They then ask what they owe you... Ruddles county seems to be the preferred payment scheme :)

Thanks for the responses - i'll give it ago without a laser to start with and see how it goes. Not really any clearer on which laser to go for tbh. Does the pendulum lock make such a big difference if I'm not transporting the laser around a lot?

Does the pendulum lock make such a big difference if I'm not transporting the laser around a lot?
It depends on what you are doing. Apart from preventing damage to the mechanism during transport a pendumul lock allows you to project a line at an angle; for example a parallel line up the line of a stairway to indicate the position of a dado rail. Not immediately obvious but nonetheless a useful feature

Sponsored Links
Does the pendulum lock make such a big difference if I'm not transporting the laser around a lot?
It depends on what you are doing. Apart from preventing damage to the mechanism during transport a pendumul lock allows you to project a line at an angle; for example a parallel line up the line of a stairway to indicate the position of a dado rail. Not immediately obvious but nonetheless a useful feature
Whilst not having the pendulum lock, the PLS 180 has the facility to display the beam, irrespective of angle.
Like you say, very useful.

Ive always rated DeWalt, PLS, and HILTI. Despite the 'hairy arsed' comment about DeWalt users, they do the job, robust, easy setup.

PLS lasers: look cheap and rubbish.... but do a very good job!
Which suits me just fine. :)
Errr.... he sais that they look cheap - not they are cheap (they aren't!). One point about them is that in the USA the small PLS180 is regarded as "consumer electronics" meaning that if you break it PLS won't repair it. This has been the subject of several discussions on US trade=type web sites. Not sure if that applies here, but I do know that DW, Bosch, Leica and Hilti all have repair and recalibration facilities for their tools in the UK. Possibly worth noting that whilst the others all have to go back to a central repair facility any Leica GeoSys professional dealer (the guys who sell the big stuff) can repair and recalibrate in their own workshop. Not much, but maybe worth a few days on a repair

Yes - I did mean they "look" cheap - as in very plastic etc

Not sure on servicing and repair on PLS in the UK but our Leica's have always gone to a company in Chester who are a main Leica dealer so they do have their own in-house calibration and repair centre. I'm pretty sure the other big brands would have similar setups in the UK.

Just avoid Pentax for this reason - see my earlier post!

.....they do have their own in-house calibration and repair centre. I'm pretty sure the other big brands would have similar setups in the UK.
Bosch always go back to Bosch HQ. My understanding about DW is that the same applies - no dealer level servicing. My comments about PLS stand - their reputation in the USA on the lower end stuff is that you juts won't get it repaired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back