Self levelling laser crosses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have decided to buy a laser cross but I am having difficulties in choosing one. I have narrowed it down to 3

1. Stanley CL2 (~£100, ebay)

2. Dewalt Laser Line DW087K(~£180)
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=10507

3. Pacific Laser Systems PLS2 (~£200 above)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00006AVZD/102-7651882-0448912

Now I assume that the Dewalt and Pacific models are the superior ones (I say this because they cost twice as much as the Stanley).

My problem is the Stanley states it has 4 modes.

MODE 1 : HORIZONTAL
MODE 2 : VERTICAL
MODE 3 : VERTICAL CROSS
MODE 4 : TILT MODE ( MANUAL LOCK )

All of them have the first 3 modes. It is the tilt mode that worries me – it seems an important feature if you want to project a cross on the ground or ceiling but the Dewalt and Pacific don’t mention it.

Can someone tell me if the manual lock/tilt feature (the Stanley has) is useful? I think it is to get a cross on the ground or ceiling. What about the Dewalt/Pacific models – how would you project a cross on the ground or ceiling without the self-levelling kicking in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They seem to be different approaches to the same problem, so I think to an extent you are trying to comparing apples with oranges. For example with the deWalt if you want to project a floor to ceiling line then this is a built-in feature and needs no extra modes to achieve. Tilt mode on the Stanley seems more to do with the ability to override the self-levelling feature in order to project a line at an angle (something I've never needed to do in 4 years of laser level use). The DW seems to be a more versatile and useable device as you don't have to keep changing modes to get a laser line where you need it. It also seems to be a tad more accurate than the Stanley. However, neither is as accurate as a cheap water level.

From experience it is not a cross that you require - it is a reference line - something the DW gives you. See here then take the virtual tour.

Scrit

Thanks for the reply Scrit.

Yesterday I got carried away on ebay and bought the Pacific Laser PLS2 model (£165 on ebay. New). I believe it’s superior than the Dewalt model – but to go by its looks you would never know. Its very simple/unattractive compared to the dewalt – but hopefully the extra brightness/range and accuracy makes up for it. I was able to find out the PLS2 does have a tilt mode. And the Dewalt does not (but like you said – is it really useful). Well the deal is done now and I’m stuck with the PLS2.

Does anyone have this model? Is it much better than the others?

In case you think me biased - I have a rotating laser level. Mine's a Bosch.

Sponsored Links
RMIM ive been using the pls2 for over two years and they are mint, I do MF ceilings and metal stud and this tool saves a lot of time. My mate who works with me has got a Dewalt one that cost over £500 and its left in the box the PLS2 does everything. Ive used it for tiling walls and floors and i must of dropped it a thousand times.

jbonding said:
RMIM ive been using the pls2 for over two years and they are mint, I do MF ceilings and metal stud and this tool saves a lot of time. My mate who works with me has got a Dewalt one that cost over £500 and its left in the box the PLS2 does everything. Ive used it for tiling walls and floors and i must of dropped it a thousand times.
That’s good to hear. They don’t sell like a rubber housing for it do they? It just looks so frail to me. Although I’m still waiting for mine to come, I’m going on the pictures I have seen.

Project1.jpg

I was looking at that PLS2 on the web link you provided. How can it project a line around the room as above? It doesn't rotate does it?

No it does not rotate.

If you look at the picture the unit is set in the corner of the room not centre (as a rotating laser would be). Any laser line will mark both walls that are 90degrees to each other. The length of the line depends on the model of the unit (how powerful/spread of beam). Perhaps this model has quite a range - but it’s not going to be 360, the bit of wall behind the unit will not be marked. This picture is a bit misleading.

Maybe some who has got a unit can tell if its possible to circle a whole room like that.

It sends the lazer around the room it comes with a magnetic brace that fixes to the wall and it can be turned, it finds its own level and believe me they are built solid, honestly ive dropped it hundreds of times and ive got no problem throwing it accross a room to my mate.

jbonding said:
honestly ive dropped it hundreds of times and ive got no problem throwing it accross a room to my mate.
:eek:

A £200 precision instrument – I don’t think I have the nerve to take it out of its box, let alone throw it across the room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back