PLS laser level owners, your help is needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

I have recently been obsessing over which laser level to buy. I've had the DeWalt DW088 for a few days only to return it after reading posts by someone here called 'JobAndKnock' regarding lack of pendulum lock on this model and quite rightly too.

So I then bought a Leica Lino L2+ which arrived on Friday. This one has the all important pendulum lock but it arrived faulty and power up. So this one is going back tomorrow. Having held it and seen it in the flesh, it is a big unit and quite bulky so unsure if I want to order another. I am also not a fan of the bracket that comes with this unit.

So coming to PLS. I have a friend who owns the PLS2 and he advised me not to buy a PLS in general because they really fragile. They are a nice and compact design but lack the pendulum lock but have something called 'inside protection system'. Their website says:

PLS lasers do not use pendulum locks for their lasers. Their engineers have developed a system that does not require a locking mechanism. If an instrument needs a lock to protect the leveling mechanism, what happens when it falls from a height during use? - 'run to the laser and move the lock into position half way through its fall before it hits the ground?'

But it does not go into detail about how it works. So can PLS owners please comment on what this 'IPS' system is and how it can protect against falls from height as the PLS marketing suggests.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Try Hilti. I've seen a demonstrater drop kick their units across the showroom floor like rugby balls to high light their durability.

Where can I buy/look at one in the UK? What are they priced at? My budget is £200 max

Go to your nearest Hilti dealer and ask for a demo.
Not sure on the prices.

Sponsored Links
i went out of my mind researching laser levels.

the bosch gll2-50 with the stand bm1 is the best all rounder IMO(its the one i got in the end)

you can get them for £160 of the internet

the key things are fan angle and how good the stand is. bosch one has a good stand and about 170 degree angle. the line is a little chunky though.

Yes, I considered the Bosch and I do like the bracket it comes with. The only thing I don't like about the Bosch is the thickness of the line. Easy to get clips out of line etc.

Sorry to hear about your probems with the Leica. I still own an earlier Lino and it's a dinky little beastie, but replaced that with a Bosch GLL3-80P about 18 months back (bigger than a PLS, but THREE 360 degree lines - knocks almost everything else into a cocked hat IMHO. The Lino now my backup.

The Bosch wall bracket is super, better than the Leica ones. I'm no fan of the PLS - their web site may say one thing about reliability, but on a number of US trade forums it has emerged that PLS regard ANY laser under $200 (or £200 here) as "non-serviceable units". In other words they won't repair 'em. I now know a couple of lads who've dropped theirs and had to write them off because they couldn't get them repaired. To me, that's an issue. May be worth asking the vendor about repair centres, etc. On Bosch units they have to be repaired by their central repair operation, which I understand is in Germany. Leicas can all be repaired by registered GeoSys dealers - there are a dozen or more in the UK who can do the repair at their premises (BTW they is NOT the box shifter retailers, who are different).

As to the line the thickness partly depends on how far away you are from the laser. Not sure where the focus point is for the GLL3-80 is, but the line seems to get thinner then thickens again the further away you get. Seen this with other lasers. I was told years back when we first started usen lasers that it is standard practice to set your tick marks in the middle of the red (or green) line and not the edge which will introduce inaccuracies over long distances, so just how accurate do you really need to be? If you do need true engineering accuracy then you can't beat a surveyors optical level - but using one is a two man job.

Hello folks

Played with a PLS180 for a few days. Good sized unit, like the bracket and their response to emails is brilliant, they responded to emails within the hour even when the emails were sent after 9pm and on occaisions Mike (co-founder and partner) has stepped in and dealt with issues personally on US forums.

However I still prefer to have something with a pendulum lock. So I am now considering the Bosch GLL3-80P. Its probably OTT for my needs but I'd rather buy something that is the 'dogs' once than buy something 'good' and then wish I'd bought something better (has happened to me way too much). My only reservation is the size of the unit and bracket. Looks to be on the large side. I read the review on the handyman forum by JobAndKnock and I hope he reads this and twists my arm. Also some pics will help persuade me next to the Leica Lino (to gauge the size). Dimensions on the internet suggest the Bosch is just 10mm taller than the Lino L2+ (which is the other unit I'm considering) and 50mm longer but same width so not much in it.

I considered Hilti but they dont display the prices on their website, you need to register and ask for a quote. :rolleyes:

So I am now considering the Bosch GLL3-80P. Its probably OTT for my needs but I'd rather buy something that is the 'dogs' once than buy something 'good' and then wish I'd bought something better (has happened to me way too much). My only reservation is the size of the unit and bracket. Looks to be on the large side.
OK, so you know that I'm "converted" having already been through a few lasers. In terms of size the laser itself is a bit deeper (front to rear) than the deWalt DW087K, similar width and about half as tall again, so yes, it's bigger. The bracket I went for is also larger, and it has rack and pinion adjustment (plus magnets), but here's the rub, when you set-up a laser in position it is often in the same place for quite a while so unless it's enormous and really heavy the size doesn't matter hugely IMHO. All I can say is that everyone who's seen it in use or used it with me on buddy jobs (it isn't for loaning out) has been very impressed - 360° in 3-axis from something this size is impressive. There are limitations, obviously - it won't project as far as my old rotary (but that's 4 times the size and 6 times the weight) and the protection turret above each laser window is supported on 4 thin metal legs so there are the odd places where the line gets very faint (circa 40 to 50mm at 30ft or so), but overall I've found it to be a brilliant laser for my needs. Some features, like the ability to use the two vertical laser lines as a plumb bob (saving the need for me to carry a laser plumb bob for jobs like centring suspended pattresses inside false ceilings, locating downlighters, etc) and the magnets on the front edge (useful for alignning metal lath studding, etc) just add to the useability

On the cost front Bosch also do a more conventional cross line version with only two laser lines, called a GLL2-80P. This is quite a bit cheaper and still has two 360° cross lines. The main thing you lose the second vertical access line, so no plumb bob feature.

You may have to wait a week or so for any photos, though - my digital camera is back at the repairers for the second time since Christmas and I don't do camera phones - way too high tech (read "fragile") for my liking.

Thanks for your reply. I dont need much convincing now. Ready to order except I'm confused about what comes as standard with the kit. I know the bracket is an extra sometimes but what case do you get as standard? I dont want/need the big hard case, much prefer the smaller pouch so I can keep it in my backback when its not in use. Is this a standard item?

Is the bracket and pouch sturdy enough to live in my bag with my lunch and water bottle (in different pockets)?

Lastly, any recommendations on where cheapest to buy online?

I wouldn't recommend buying an instrument of that nature "online".

Go to a reputable supplier as close as possible where you can deal with someone in person.
Then any problems are easier to deal with and you have calibrating which may need done from time to time.

I wouldn't recommend buying an instrument of that nature "online".

Go to a reputable supplier as close as possible where you can deal with someone in person.
Then any problems are easier to deal with and you have calibrating which may need done from time to time.

You have a point but the only local dealer I know of will charge me £78 more than online :confused:

I'm confused about what comes as standard with the kit.
When I bought mine in mid to late 2011 it came with a big plastic case filled with ballistic foam which is sort of overkill. There was also a target sight and a set of batteries and that was all

Bosch specify the GLL3-80P in four versions, see here on the "Prices/Complete with" tab for details. I added the BM1 wall mount at the same time and got an all-in price. That wall mount is a lot bigger that the DW item, but it has a rack and pinnion rise/fall, flip out feet (for use as a table tripod) and magnets on the back (for metal studwork) so quite useful in my line of work. The bracket is plastic but pretty robust - nothing much to break-off or fall off other than the feet (which fold away inside the frame). Possibly the only other thing I'll ever need is a telescopic pole mount - but I'll buy one if or when the need arises (it hasn't dome so far). Sorry, but I don't know about other options - mine now travels in a Systainer with some other kit

PS Manual is on the "User manuals" tab on the Bosch site - might be worth taking a look before you buy

Lastly, any recommendations on where cheapest to buy online?
Sorry, absolutely no idea. I spent a week or more scouting round for mine and eventually bought it from a non tool supplier on a credit card (so I could push a refund).

Thanks for replying JobAndKnock, very helpful after reading it properly.

Anyway the APC man brought this for me today:

IMAG0621_zpsccec9386.jpg

A big foam lined case with a very pretty laser. Its quite light and not as big as I imagined although as I mentioned in my earlier post, I would have preferred the pouch because its easier to carry.

Any idea where I can buy the pouch from or a part number? I can't find any details online :unsure:

I'm sorry, but that I can't help on, however it's a bit odd - they show it in the manual but I can't find a part number for it there. I think it may be a case (sic) of ringing Bosch to see if you can get the part number from them - that or a trip to the local camera emporium to see if the do a suitably sized padded digital camera case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back