New laser level, looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new rotary laser level in the next week or so as my DeWalt is on it's last legs. It's been a good machine but the newer ones look a little flimsy in comparison (the one I have is 7 years old).

I want something more "professional" than the DeWalt and I believe the "top end" brands are Leica and Topcon at the minute, so I've started to look at those.

Questions:
Has anyone used the Topcon RL-H4C laser before?
Or, has anyone used the Leica Rugby 50

I'm looking for real user opinions on these 2 models as I can't decide between them. I've pretty much narrowed my purchase down to one of these 2 lasers.

I would consider other brands if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
I'm not directly familiar with those models but I do use a laser level often so I have a fair experience of the methodology. Are those two models really comparable? I'd have thought the Topcon would be a fair bit more sophisticated piece of kit. For a start it does slope measurement which the Leica doesn't appear to do.

Providing each instrument does what you need I'd go with the most accurate. a couple of millimetres doesn't sound much but you also have to add the accuracy of the receiver and over any kind of distance you could be moving the target up and down 20 or 30mm to find the centre. More accurate is obviously better.

The Topcon would be better than that Leica model. But a comparable Leica would probably be just as good.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply on this, you sound like you know more than I do!

I don't really do any grade or slope work so I don't need that as a feature although if something is of a good price and has it then I won't turn it down.

I'm working in areas of around 100m diameter (max) so I think both of these models could handle that from what I've read.

Both models have good warranty periods although the Topcon is slightly longer it seems.

I already own some Leica equipment (one of their Disto laser measures) and that has been great but I've never owned anything Topcon before so I'm not sure what they are like for build quality or support but they do seem to be a huge company worldwide.

I guess if they're not comparable then I'm looking more at the Rugby 100 model against the Topcon RL-H4C? What do you use yourself?

Cheers

David

I use a Lasermark LHM by CST Berger. The current LMH model is more or less the same as the ones you are looking at but mine is an old one so doesn't have the up to date functions. (although it cost a lot more than the prices you are looking at!) But as a straight level it's taken everything I've thrown at it for years and still works perfectly. Topcons are built like tanks. You'd have to do some serious mis-treatment to damage one of those. Don't know about Leica but the brand is top notch so i'm sure they are very well built. I'd still go for the highest accuracy at the best price. At 100m you will be searching for that beam so the more accuracy the better.

Sponsored Links
John, thanks again for the help on this. Your opinion is very welcome!

Is this the CST LMHC laser level that you have? or is yours an older model?

This seems very good for the price and unlike the others it comes with a tripod and staff. I don't really need these, as my old ones are still good, but it can't harm having spares or newer ones I guess!

I called this company up to ask about accuracy and was told it was around "± 0.08 mm/m" - that seems pretty good to me. The Rugby 50 I looked at had an accuracy of ±2.6mm at 30m so there isn't much between them in accuracy? (unless I have my numbers wrong!). I have heard of CST / Berger before also so that's certainly a brand I would consider!

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks

David

That's the one. Mine is older and the button pattern is very slightly different - but essentially the same one. I think I paid £850 for it about 10 years ago. I think you'll find the Topcon is more accurate - but then it is more money.

Thanks again John. Looks like I have some reading to do tonight before making a final decision but your comments have been very helpful and most welcome :D

Know zit about the Topcon. We have both a Leica Rugby 50 and a Rugby 100 The 50 we have had about 12 year the 100 about 7 year. We swear by them. They are versatile, accurate, simple and foolproof. We have three 25x50 battens ,marked up for the receiver 1200, 2400, 3600 long and if we are digging 3000 deep we just throw laser on milk crate and we get 3000 with no trouble. Ours is in constant use in all weathers been knocked over by machine twice, calibrated twice with no alteration required, We use it in and outdoors. Slope measure you can work out on a piece of paper if required. We buy all this sort of gear from Speedy Survey. You will not go wrong with the 100
oldun ;)

We have a Leica also.The Rugby 280dg. Class level. Can do grading, laydown and squaring.
We got ripped off buying it though.

The photo of the topcon seems to show a green laser. If it has one of these then it will be much more visible than red. But the text does not seem to say that it is actually green

Otherwise both are pretty similar so you need to define your use and match the one that meets any specific requirements.

A brickie mate of mine has the h3 version of the topcon you mentioned and i have used it a fair few times. Very accurate and very good range, will eat batteries up if you leave it on by mistake but i'm sure they all do that.

The photo of the topcon seems to show a green laser. If it has one of these then it will be much more visible than red. But the text does not seem to say that it is actually green

Otherwise both are pretty similar so you need to define your use and match the one that meets any specific requirements.

It's a red beam laser. I see what you mean about the image but I think it must just be the light coming through or something. According to Topcon it's a red beam!

I thought I was getting closer to a decision but now I'm looking at PLS lasers and the Rugby has certainly come back in to contention. Seems I have much reading to do and plenty of calls to make... :D

We have a Leica also.The Rugby 280dg. Class level. Can do grading, laydown and squaring.
We got ripped off buying it though.

Yes, it does seem quite expensive but packed full of features. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for the Rugby 280 and what you got in the kit for the price? i.e. rechargeable batteries, receiver, remote etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back