which low odour paint to use for interior doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi whats the best paint to use on interior doors there flat no panels.
I would like to use a mini roller with a low paint odour, as there is not a lot of venterlation. there are so many paint brands I am lost thanks joe

Sponsored Links
Water based stuff, but it isn't easy to use.

Sponsored Links
Are the doors primed or bare wood ?
I am not sure why joe90 says that water based is hard to use but surely one of your first questions for yourself should be what sort of finish do you want ?

Johnstones Joncryl undercoat then satin is good, their Aqua undercoat and gloss is also very good.
There are loads of good paints, but we need to know more about the doors and you need to work out what finish you want first, so back to you OP !

I am looking at satin white and the doors are painted in an off white like magnolia and in good condition.I could go o/b if you think thats better?

I say it's hard to use for a DIYer because I've seen loads of pros make a complete hash of it. They don't even seem aware that it's a mess from over-brushing.

No, go with the water based. I rarely use anything oil based these days.

I would apply a coat of zinsser bullseye 123 (or even better zinsser Coverstain but this is solvent based and stinks !but is thought to be even better) as a primer - this will help adhesion. However, before you do this a quick wash down with sugar soap and a light sand is very important - sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.....

Then go with the Johnstones if you can get it easily, or there is Dulux diamond satin, which some think is pretty good. There will be loads of other paints, but these are what I use if possible.
I use a mini roller to apply the paint then a good brush to finish it off, and it is worth getting a decent brush. Also,if you have a lot to do, then some Owatrol floetrol is worth getting - it helps the paint flow, keeps a wet edge going longer and reduces brushmarks, but at about £15 it may be pushing the price up too much - a splash of water will also help.

I say it's hard to use for a DIYer because I've seen loads of pros make a complete hash of it. They don't even seem aware that it's a mess from over-brushing.

Fair comment Joe, and something I should have added in my last post !

Don't spread it out too thin - an even coat is what matters which is where a mini roller can help !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back