WHICH MAKE OF COMBI WOULD YOU BUY

P

paulmoly

I have been experiencing some problems with my Potterton Puma 80e and am thinking of having it replaced,just in case the local installers try to fob me off with an old dog of a boiler I would like to know what boilers any of you have installed over the years and would recommend.
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why would you trust the opinion of people on here above installers who you will meet in the flesh, discuss your requirements with and where one will eventually be the one who installs the boiler for you, each installer has their own preference, one installers favourite boiler, will be slagged off by anothers installer, who would suggest you use his prefered boiler.
I would suggest you pay more attention to who the installer is, try and get one recommended by a friend or family member, most boilers will be fine if they are installed correctly, but which boiler depends on your budget

I have been experiencing some problems with my Potterton Puma 80e and am thinking of having it replaced,just in case the local installers try to fob me off with an old dog of a boiler I would like to know what boilers any of you have installed over the years and would recommend.
many thanks.

It would be better to get 2-3 quotes in, then run them by the forum.

Sponsored Links
thanks all, I have taken all your comments on board.
I am thinking of either Valiant or Glow worm, Have glow worms now become more reliable as I remember many years ago most decent installers used to shudder at the very mention of them.

for me worcester bosch all day long, but thats a personal preference! 1% failure rate within the first 5 years...not many other boilers can argue that!

Well with all this cold weather we have been getting OP , & all the trouble that it has caused , you should ask the question what are other countrys useing ?? like say Russia ?? gets to minus 50 in moscow , what boilers are fitted in the Kremlin a ??? think about it OP , boiler packs up , the installer gets a visit from the KGB for a chat and ?????

Oddly enough, my Russian girlfriend says that the pipework in the Duma (Russian parliament) froze and burst last year and the communal heating pipes heating several apartment blocks in Moscow ruptured under a freeway leaving a ruddy big hole and lots of very cold people, so it aint all rosy there either...

Visited friends in Kiev last Summer and the apartments are heated using a communal boiler in the basement, water heating where we stayed using an open flued Bosch multipoint water heater. The kopex flue fed into the same vertical (Possibly a U flue) vent that kitchen extractors fed into. The walls of the buildings are about 750-1000mm thick and the windows consist of inner and outer double glazing , the doors too have an inner and outer door so the apartments are pretty airtight apart from the draught from the flue/ extractor fan.

Scary!!

I've just purchased an Intergas compact combi for my house.

Is that a recommendation ? no idea, as never installed, but really like them when compared to the rubbish from Valliant, WB, Baxi etc.

We shall see, either way we haven't heard the last. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, my Russian girlfriend says that the pipework in the Duma (Russian parliament) froze and burst last year and the communal heating pipes heating several apartment blocks in Moscow ruptured under a freeway leaving a ruddy big hole and lots of very cold people, so it aint all rosy there either...

Visited friends in Kiev last Summer and the apartments are heated using a communal boiler in the basement, water heating where we stayed using an open flued Bosch multipoint water heater. The kopex flue fed into the same vertical (Possibly a U flue) vent that kitchen extractors fed into. The walls of the buildings are about 750-1000mm thick and the windows consist of inner and outer double glazing , the doors too have an inner and outer door so the apartments are pretty airtight apart from the draught from the flue/ extractor fan.

Scary!!

But what about the Kremlin ?? they have Wolf boilers :) think about good enough for Putin , than good enough for the OP :) maybe ?? possibly ??

I've just purchased an Intergas compact combi for my house.

Is that a recommendation ? no idea, as never installed, but really like them when compared to the rubbish from Valliant, WB, Baxi etc.

We shall see, either way we haven't heard the last. :rolleyes:

Ditto fitted em and impressed or remeha

But what about the Kremlin ?? they have Wolf boilers :) think about good enough for Putin , than good enough for the OP :) maybe ?? possibly ??

Wolf? aren't they the boilers marketed by a well known postal plumbers merchant? They could be getting a present with a Moscow postmark and a label saying "Dangerski.. Radioactiveski"... :eek:

Think I read somewhere...( perhaps I dreamt it) that Ravenheat boilers were regarded as good quality in Roumania.

I'm gonna look very carfully at Intergas in the new year, I quite like the idea of a DHW preheat that learns when it's likely to be needed... OK I like the spares briefcase too...

Probably best to think about what not to fit rather than recommendations.

Biasi, Ravenheat, Ariston and Halstead are makes I would avoid. Ideal used to be on that list but I think they have turned a corner.

The best boiler in the world fitted by a poor installer will give you trouble.

As others have said get 2/3 quotes and compare.

thanks for the responses, Have just dicovered that the heat exchanger is blocked solid on the DHW side on my potterton Puma 80e, is it worth trying to clear?get a new H EX?or replace boiler?
any suggestions would be welcome.
Paul.

Get the engineer to quite to change the heat exchanger. Not a difficult job to do but requires a Gas Safe engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back