Installation of Condensing Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a potterton puma for 10 years (ish) and had nothing but problems. It keeps losing pressure and it now appears to have a fault with the fan.

I am conisering replacing with Baxi 105 HE and wanted some impartial opinion on the model? Dont want anything that is going to be as much of a maintenance nightmare as the Puma.

Also, regarding installation, does this need to be done my CORGI registered engineer? If its installed by very experienced (yet retired) engineer who isnt registered, does this invalidate the guarantee?

Sponsored Links
I suggest you click on to Search and then put in Baxi this will highlight the problems. :LOL: I personally dont like Baxi /Potterton but i've got colleagues who fit them all the time, so what can i say its al down to the indiviual

I HAVE EXPERIENC OF THIS BOILER, THE ONLY DOWNER WE EVER HAD WITH THEM WAS THE STUFFING GLAND ON THE HOT WATER DIAPHRAGM TENDS TO DRIBBLE AFTER A YEAR OR SO, CREATING A SMALL LEAK ON THE LEFT HANDS SIDE. EASILY SORTED THOUGH AS YOU GET A SERVICE KIT FOR ABOUT TEN QUID AND JUST CHANGE THE BUGGER.
ALSO SOME INTERMITTENT LOCKOUTS TO DO WITH MOISTURE SENSOR ON TOP OF CONDENSATE TRAP- NO HARD AND FAST REASON OTHER THAN IT COULD HAVE BEEN DESIGNED DIFFERENTLY.
APART FROM THAT A VERY GOOD BOILER AND I THINK BAXI NOW GIVE A 5 YEAR WARRANTY WITH THEIR KIT, SO IT CANT BE BAD.

MOD

turn caps lock off

Sponsored Links
The DHW gland leaks after a couple of years. The diaphragm fails after five years. The DHW demand switch sometimes fails and occasionally the gas valve or PCB fail. The mechnical time clock often seems to fail or perhaps I have been unlucky?

But then we repair boilers and ALL boilers fail sometimes!

They are a reasonable boiler if properly installed on a clean system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back