Condensing boiler flue too close to eaves?

Corgi also say that the manufacturer's instructions over-ride everything else.

Sponsored Links
New build and total renovation now require testing for air tightness, this makes it important to provide a good seal on every pipe/flue that pass through walls.

The rubber gaskets have never been acceptable as a seal on the outside for gas safety.

Most CORGI inspectors will reluctantly accept then on a high rise building if the hole is properly sealed gas tightly on the inside.

Please can you elaborate on the need for testing air tightness? Who requires this? How is it tested?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Right, thats an energency efficiency aspect and not specifically a gas safety requirement.

Its to reduce the waste of heat from inside the building by air leakage through holes like unsealed flue pipes.

Tony

I always pack the inside with rockwall and then cement and the outside rubber collar i put a good bead of silicone ... granted pebble dash is a bugger but Ive never had a call back for a leaky flue !!

Getcha point tho my welsh friend ;)

I always pack the inside with rockwall and then cement and the outside rubber collar i put a good bead of silicone ... granted pebble dash is a b*****r but Ive never had a call back for a leaky flue !!

The best way is to cement the outside and the to use plaster on the inside in case it ever needs to be changed.

I disagree with CORGI as in my view the flue only needs to be gas tight on either the insider or (usually ) the outside. I consider if the outside is properly cemented then the inside only needs to have the gasket.

CORGI consider its within their remit if the outside has not been cementer or otherwise sealed to prevent water ingress into the fabric of the building.

Tony

water ingress is outside £orgis remit, unless it is into the boiler. They should only be concerned with gas and flue safety side of installation.

I've never had a manufacturers rubber gasket let in water or fumes of any sort when fitted to their instructions.

£orgi can take a flying f**k. MI's over rule even their money grabbing self introduced importance so called rules.

I always seal inside and outside of flue as corgi always check this (although at height i doubt it). I think your plumber is just concerned about the extent your eaves protrude,as i would be, as this is not
your usual situation. If i were him i would phone technical support and explain the situation so you know where you stand. No matter what corgi states manufacturers instructions are what you work to .

Further developments: WB say it is fine, CORGI says it is fine but my installer says that it is a BUILDING REGULATIONS problem. Now I have to get onto the Building Inspectors at my local authority (Lewisham in London) but has anyone else ever had a Building Regulations problem like this? Just to refresh: the flue terminal will be about 502mm below eaves that overhang by about 503mm.

I have just had a quick browse through Building Regs Part J which deals with flues and the dimensions given therein are the same as the dimensions given in the WB installation instructions i.e. 200mm below eaves or balconys for a fan flued balanced flue boiler.

I do get the impression that your installer is either trying to stitch you up for more money or doesn't want the job and is trying to scare you off. Just a point - did he spec the boiler or did you?

Also you say that he has proposed to exit the flue through the wall then rise up the wall externally and through the soffit/roof I assume with a vertical flue kit. Why did he not just suggest coming straight off the boiler with a vertical flue kit and up through the roof? :confused:

He might indeed be trying to put me off as there is not enough profit; the price seems quite good for a WB 24 combi and labour. He specified it and gave me the choice between a Worcester and a more expensive Valiant. Anyway, I am onto the Building Inspectors soon and will ask them to quote just which part of section J would be breached... probably none at all.

If it did have to go up through the roof then it would indeed be better to take it vertically straight off the boiler but then the flue would pass through the roof void and that might involve further regulations. I am holding out for a basic terminal in accordance with WB and CORGI. I suppose Building Regulations can over-rule everything but unless it is down to the whim of some tin-pot dictator at the local authority; who could possibly be over-ruled upon appeal; I will want to see just which regulation is breached, if any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back