Combi flue / condensing discharge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im an RGI but am mainly doing servicing. However fitted a Condensing combi at my dad's house, and just need clarification on a couple of points.

According to the M.I, i'm allowed 200mm under the eaves which i have, and although i'm aware i need a heat shield to protect the paintwork on eaves, is it possible to just protrude the flue further from the wall to clear the plume from the eaves? At the moment it's about 450mm out from the wall and does not look out of place and is over 2m from finished ground level.

Also the condensate is draining into a washing machine type upstand trap. I have about a foot of plastic pipe connected to the flexible drain as it comes out of the boiler so it enters into the trap by a good 6 inches. Does this entry need to be sealed closed or is it ok to have it this way?

Regards

Sponsored Links
air gap is very good for boiler actually.

Flu extended beyond face of wall is manufacturer dependent. Corgi inspectors don't particularly like it but if manufacturer approves it fine. Corgis view is some flues are designed to work at the right position. using extension to avoid distance issues with fall pipes etc is often seen as a cheap trick. So show that you are not being cheap by obtaining manufacturer's consent.Make sure to seal flue to wall inside and out. Turn prv discharge back with 15mm gap to wall and not over a door or window,

The building regs have not been re-writen to accomodate condensing boilers properly. Most manufacturers have stupid people running them so though they have the authority to approve distances in contravention to British Standards they haven't the imagination to do so.

you are learning that to be an installer today is to be able to find that needle in the haystack and park an elephant on it without puncturing his skin, but due to the financial crisis and imigrant building trade labour you are expected to finance your position and perform this skilled task for peanuts.

Thanks Paul.

The flue isn't extended, merely the original pipe prior to cutting. I actually offered it up uncut to measure the cut, but realised it served the purpose of clearing the plume effectively uncut. I have seen loads this way, and indeed serviced some which are far more obvious, even unsightly.

At 450mm (18") it looks ok although nothing further stated in M.I.
The heat shield is still being fitted.

Sponsored Links
Of course you are doing it for family but if one were to fit a steamer and the plume damaged woodwork through rot there would be a claim against the installer. So the wise installer would either insist on a suitable boiler and additional cost for plume diversion or get a signed statement that the client takes full responsibility.

There is no longer a fire risk but a new risk of the effects of damp on wood.

A case was brought successfully by a neighbour on an installer in Hull for wrotten sophits on their adjacent house.

You have to ensure that your plume is not likely to cause a nuisance.
It is a right pain, and people haven't a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back