Condensate discharge From Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi earlier this year I had a Worcester 37CDI boiler fitted.I believe I am getting condensate discharge from the flue.This can be one drip every 20 seconds or so or more often than this or not at all - presumably depending on ambient temperature in the house and demand on the boiler.

The boiler is installed on the wall in the garage adjacent to the external wall.The flue run is very short to the single cavity wall about 300mm.External there is about 150mm to the end of the flue.The flue is horizontal and I believe that because of the short run this may be causing the discharge?

Does the flue need extending?

Or two 90 degree bends fitting?

Just wanted some advice before I tackled the installer as still under warranty.Have a heat trace insulated condensate discharge pipe fitted and seems a shame not to use it!

Thanks in advance

David

Sponsored Links
the flue will drip to a certain extent it is perfectly normal however the flue should run back to the boiler, you will be getting a lot more condensate going down the pipe so your trace heating won't be wasted

i'm not familiar with this boiler, but as said before the flue should slope back to the boiler, how much of a slope will be in the MI's.
some boiler manufacturers state 50mm per 1000mm. so a 450mm run should be about a 25mm difference in height from the boiler to the flue terminal.

also has the heating been range rated to the heat loss of the property? if not then the boiler fan will be running at full pelt when it is heating the house when it doesnt need to be. all this info will be in the the MI's

I get a bit of a drip from mine

I put a wall-hanging flower-basket under it, with hardy plants.

Sponsored Links
Get the installer to alter the end of the flue so it exits at 45 degrees upwards, takes about 30 seconds! That's assuming he hasn't forced it into the old flue hole so it points downwards :LOL:

Be careful with the trace heater if it has an RCD fitted. It's easy to forget to reset them if the power ever goes off then the pipe could freeze ;)

This has just reminded me of a boiler design I saw a while back where a drain for the condensate is not req as it is vaporised and discharged through an extra pipe the flue, Almost sure it was about to go into production, but cant remember who by.
anyone else ?

they showed me that brochure when i was doing my ticket last...

in the same conversation my teacher told us that his condensate runs into a bucket and has done for two years ;)

This has just reminded me of a boiler design I saw a while back where a drain for the condensate is not req as it is vaporised and discharged through an extra pipe the flue, Almost sure it was about to go into production, but cant remember who by.
anyone else ?

wasnt someone complaining about acid rain a few years ago? ;)

Thanks for all your answers.

Razor900";p="2575645 said:
Get the installer to alter the end of the flue so it exits at 45 degrees upwards, takes about 30 seconds! That's assuming he hasn't forced it into the old flue hole so it points downwards :LOL:

Razor 900:
Thought about this - if this is done will I not get rain snow going into the flue? - I know your going to give me smart answer why this will work!

anyone else ?

it was an Atmos boiler dont think they made many always wondered about your lovely new car parked under the terminal

All this dripping reminds me of the customer who had a leak under his boiler so he installed a piece of gutter to take th leak into the kitchen sink.

Next time I was called round he was not there because he had been sent to prison for murdering his nice little wife who made me coffee on my first visit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back