Which make of combi....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right, Full install from scratch - smallish 3 bedroom house, single bathroom. Cast concrete with insulation

Looking at 6 rads+1 for constant flow.

Now, after a quote of £4.5k i looked into DIY.....thats the route im taking.

Ive been looking at boilers, and specifically which make i should get.

how do you guys rate worcester boilers ??? i'm looking at getting a Worcester Greenstar 30SI Condensing Combi. It comes in a kit form with 7 rads upto 35000BTU+TRVs+LS's + Flue. Total cost inc vat is£1565....

Now, how do worcesters rate compared to the likes of vaillant, potterton,baxi, ideal, glow worm and Ferroli. Only thing that pushes me to another make is ferroli's 5 years parts and labour warranty........

For reference, i'll be installing the whole thing with 15+22mm plastic heating pipe+ clickfit's. DHW for 1 downstairs tap, 2 upstairs taps+shower.

Thanks for any advice folks.

Sponsored Links
The guarantee is irrelevant as you will not be able to activate it as a DIY'er
You cannot use plastic pipe upto the boiler.
You will be working illegally when fitting the boiler and flue
:eek:

copper to plastic at the boiler.......i know it can't run right to the boiler, what i mean is the majority of the system is going to be plastic barrier pipe.

I won't be plumbing the gas.....only the water to and from the boiler, and actaully putting the boiler on the wall - Why exactly is that illegal.

I have a gas-certified eng. who will certificate the system for me.

Now you have given more info, it does't seem so bad. The boiler installer (RGI) is responsible for the secure fixing of the boiler to the wall. I would not be happy signing this off unless I had secured it.

Sponsored Links
I have a gas-certified eng. who will certificate the system for me.
As he's signing it off, why not ask him the questions you want answering?

Because according to the OP's who claim to have this arrangement there are literally thousands of RGI's ready and willing to connect and certificate with absolutely no other input to the install. However I, nor anyone I know in the trade, has ever heard of any RGI offering this service.

right, Full install from scratch - smallish 3 bedroom house, single bathroom. Cast concrete with insulation

Looking at 6 rads+1 for constant flow.

Now, after a quote of £4.5k i looked into DIY.....thats the route im taking.

Ive been looking at boilers, and specifically which make i should get.

how do you guys rate worcester boilers ??? i'm looking at getting a Worcester Greenstar 30SI Condensing Combi. It comes in a kit form with 7 rads upto 35000BTU+TRVs+LS's + Flue. Total cost inc vat is£1565....

Now, how do worcesters rate compared to the likes of vaillant, potterton,baxi, ideal, glow worm and Ferroli. Only thing that pushes me to another make is ferroli's 5 years parts and labour warranty........

For reference, i'll be installing the whole thing with 15+22mm plastic heating pipe+ clickfit's. DHW for 1 downstairs tap, 2 upstairs taps+shower.

Thanks for any advice folks.

1: Your doing the gas? Have you calculated the load?
2: Plastic to the boiler aint allowed.
3: You'll never get an RGI to put his neck on the line to commission and register it for less than the full install cost. If you asked me, Id re-fit the boiler, re-do the gas pipe, upgrade some pipework to copper, and have to charge a commission cost on top.

I dont belive for 1 minute your not doing the gas side of this job of you would not be on here looking for advise.

'Mr Central Heating' per chance?

Flooze

a company i used to deal with piped up all there jobs with Hep2o straight to the boiler :LOL: they even got in touch with both the boiler and pipe manufactures and there didn't seem to be a problem.

Jesus F**K - nothing like having a go at the newbie.

I'll be fixing the boiler to the wall - its a concrete wall, the boiler in question comes with a jig......

i WON'T be doing the gas - I'll be paying for that service ! Flooze - Your a mile off - i clearly stated in the first post that i wasnt plumbing the gas in.....What gave you the imression that i didnt mean that.

WRT the copper/plastic - I was planning on using a foot of copper pipe from the boiler, then changing to plastic.

Why can't you guys just offer some sensible advice rather than abuse.

Correct me if im wrong, but British gas use HEP

Hepworth cleary state on thier product information that HEPo2 is suitable for compression fittings, and indeed direct to boiler fitting, presuming the connection is 350mm+ from heat source......

"Where boilers incorporate a high
limit cut out thermostat, pump
overrun device, and have
connections outside the boiler
casing 350mm from the heat source,
direct connection can be made to
Hep2O®. Typically these boilers
contain a copper heat exchanger
and are low water content boilers.
See Figure 8.
Where any one of the above
criteria for direct connection to a
boiler cannot be met a minimum
one metre run of copper pipe
should be installed between the
boiler and the start of the Hep2O®
system. See Figure 9.
In all cases (including instantaneous
water heaters, caravan heaters etc.)
care should be taken to ensure that
appliances have the appropriate
thermostatic controls and cut outs
to ensure that operating conditions
do not exceed the temperature and
pressure limits laid down for Class S
pipe (see Table 2, page 41). For any
type of back boiler all water
connections should be extended
from the appliance to the outside of
the fireplace opening in copper
tube."

BG use copper only.

Run your copper 1 metre down from the boiler before you attach to Hep.

Fair play for wanting to do DIY, £4500 for that quote seems a lot. where do you live? did you get more than 1 quote?

I live in central Scotland - had more than one quote, average quote £4,500. I've heard of BG Installs, all Hep. Thanks!

May be different above the border for whatever reason, but here (Liverpool) im 99% sure its copper only.

Mind me asking what your RGI is charging you for running the gas pipe and signing it off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back