Which master socket wires to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing an old master socket for a VDSL2 master.

The old socket has a 6 core cable and the incomer on the new VDSL socket has two terminals marked A and B.

Would I be correct in thinking I need the wires from terminals 2 and 5 off the old socket?

Basically, which of the 6 wires go to A and B on the new socket please?

thanks

full

Sponsored Links
Hi,

As the master socket and incoming cable is the property of the supplier (Openreach, etc.),
I couldn't possibly say! ;)

If you haven't already seen, there is some useful information about phone lines here:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone Wiring.htm

To clarify your existing wiring, I wouldn't suggest pulling out all the wires except 2 and 5 and seeing if your system still works! :)

Its seems the best way forward is to have Plusnet, who we've ordered fibre and telephone from, to arrange an engineer visit to fit the new master scoket.

I too am not fitting one of these but would the terminals on the rear of faceplate for BB be filtered as i would not like to wire from this connection to router with some cat5 rather than the manky old wire that is fitted at the moment and is untwisted.

Sponsored Links
Its seems the best way forward is to have Plusnet, who we've ordered fibre and telephone from, to arrange an engineer visit to fit the new master scoket.

If you are having a new broadband service installed, they will very likely give you a VOIP phone connection instead. Which means your phone/s will plug into the router.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back