Which new Boiler should I go for Baxi or Worcester Bosch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing my old Glow Worm boiler for a new one and am looking at the Baxi Solo 15 HE or the Worcester Bosch 15 Ri and I'm not sure which one to go for and would welcome any comments and feed back.

Sponsored Links
I would give the Ri a miss. They WB3 heat exchanger is prone to over heating a bit. Ive never installed an HE solo so cant comment.

Consider the Glow-worm HXi or better still the Viessmann 100 W compact

Intergas, you can get the small combi and either use it has a combi or heat only open vent or sealed system. Less to go wrong than all the others
(In my opinion) :)

Fitted loads of solos and never had a single problem with also it is a far more common boiler and no one will shy a way from it when you call them.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the heat exchanger sump that rots through, leaking manifold, leaking flow switch, leaking condensate trap, explosive ignition, electrodes that fall apart, burners that fall apart, connectors that fall apart and so on the baxi solo he is a great boiler!

You'll get loads of opinions here, in answer to your question, if the worcester comes with 5 years warranty go with the worcester. But ensure that your installer is aware that that boiler requires pump overun. I only fit the Baxi Solo's in difficult situations, no permanent live or pump overrun.

I'm beginning to feel like sticking with my old boiler as the new boilers seem to have lots of problems by the sound of it. My 19 year old Glow Worm Economy 40b has never had a problem until this last winter when the thermocoupler had to be replaced and then one of my radiators leaked and was replaced which then meant we needed a power flush as it wouldn't work at first. As Eon doesn't do power flushes on the boiler contract we have to get someone in to do it but they suggested we balance the radiators out by having only one on at a time - a slow tedious job but it worked until recently and we have load squealing noises when it turns off, so it looks like it really needs to be done. We decided to get a new boiler and fit it in a new place - my old boiler pipework is causing problems with the new kitchen wall units we are having fitted thanks to B & Q failing to measure accurately. I thought I'd go with a new boiler as I need to sort out the fitting problem and also at 19 years old I'm not sure how much longer it's likely to last and I could be chucking good money after bad if I keep it. Decisions, decisions!!

I'm beginning to feel like sticking with my old boiler as the new boilers seem to have lots of problems by the sound of it. My 19 year old Glow Worm Economy 40b has never had a problem until this last winter when the thermocoupler had to be replaced and then one of my radiators leaked and was replaced which then meant we needed a power flush as it wouldn't work at first. As Eon doesn't do power flushes on the boiler contract we have to get someone in to do it but they suggested we balance the radiators out by having only one on at a time - a slow tedious job but it worked until recently and we have load squealing noises when it turns off, so it looks like it really needs to be done. We decided to get a new boiler and fit it in a new place - my old boiler pipework is causing problems with the new kitchen wall units we are having fitted thanks to B & Q failing to measure accurately. I thought I'd go with a new boiler as I need to sort out the fitting problem and also at 19 years old I'm not sure how much longer it's likely to last and I could be chucking good money after bad if I keep it. Decisions, decisions!!

If the systems dirty, then clean it.

If you can fit a full programmer do so.

Fit Thermostatic radiator valves

If the cylinder is a bare copper one with a red jacket around it then change it.

These are the things that will save you some £, although dont be fooled into thinking your going to half your gas usage because that wont happen. ;)

Changing the boiler isnt enough. Just do the above but keep your old boiler until it really does die

It is very difficult getting a definitive answer to your question on an internet forum.

For starters, you have no easy way of knowing whether the opinion (usually stated vociferously) is from someone who installs 100s of boilers or does one or two a year and fits bathrooms.

Or it might be from some well meaning retired geek who lives alone and has created an expert persona on the internet, but has never been in the heating industry.

I have views about which makes are the best, and my customers get these options, only.

But truthfully, there are no really awful products out there (apart from Keston of course); the biggest difference to the longevity and reliabilty of your new boiler will be down to your installer. His skills in fitting the new unit, the time he takes in powerflushing, sizing the gas supply etc.

This is where people who 'compare quotes' miss the detail. Find an instaler who does a neat diligent job, using quality materials. It probably wont be cheap, but installed correctly, a Bosch, Baxi (or a Viessmann) will all be safe choices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back