Which new electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, if not, I'm sorry, perhaps the mod can move it.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations and specific advice regarding getting a new electric shower.

My current unit, a 10.5KW Triton Opal has failed.

Ideally, I'd like to get something which satisfies all (or as many as possible of) the following conditions:

• * ideally has same fitment (water pipe and electric connections) as my Triton Opal - VERY important
    * 10.5KW or more
    * a tricky one this one: good quality, but doesn't cost the earth (in other words, i'm prepared to pay more for a good quality unit that will last years, but not crazy sums!) :)
I've read conflicting opinions on Triton. Mine for example has lasted 5-6 years. I consider that to be a pretty good life span. But then I read other people had lots of trouble with Tritons, and the brand is generally not regarded as a very good quality one (has their reputation and build quality gone down in the recent years?). I rang Triton, and they said their Bewitch and Trance units would fit straight in as they have the same connections. Tempting, but I thought I'd ask for advice here, because of the aforementioned worries about reliability.

Also, I'm confused about their range, as these models don't even appear on their website, but it's possible to buy them in places like B&Q.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Mira Advance (Memory) ....... Very good for lazy ppl like me ....... push button ...... Remembers ya settings .......... Fwoar ............ But being typically Northern I only need to use it twice a year ;)

pwmi0035l.jpg

£300 or so ...... Ok not cheap ...... But good

:eek:

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks for the suggestions.

would anybody know how complicated a job would it be to adapt my existing installation, mainly the water inlet, to work with Mira units?

basically, i'd like to do this myself, if at all possible. i'm pretty good with my hands, but haven't got much installing-showers experience.

on another note, i bought a cheap and broken triton opal unit off ebay. it's a 9.5kw version (mine was a 10.5kw). what's failed on mine is the pressure release valve. i know for a fact that that's ok on the 9.5kw unit i got. could i transplant this over to my 10.5kw unit, and would anyone be able to give me any instructions, or point me to a place where i may find them?

many thanks.

Now ya goin a bit too far .......

Your asking for people to guess ...... & its not really a goer that one

As far as can you use the bits off a used unit of a lower rating ..... Probably not ..... However you can see it, I can't ....... It might be a good idea ....... It kind of might give you a bit of a shock ........ Prolly best not to eh :eek:

Your asking for people to guess ...... & its not really a goer that one

hi, sorry, didn't mean to do a "no goer"... who/where did i ask someone to guess something?

i'm sure there are plenty of people here with far more experience than me, who could give me an educated opinion, possibly even from first-hand experience, how difficult/easy it is to adapt the instalation from my triton opal to one of the mira units?

also, my question about swapping the part from one unit to another, again i don't think this requires guesswork, people either know this can or can't be done.

didn't mean to upset anyone, so i apologise if i still managed to do so (inadvertently).

thanks.

I would think that if you can do a bit of pipework jointing it will be easy enough.

What is concerning you :?: :D

I would think that if you can do a bit of pipework jointing it will be easy enough.

What is concerning you :?: :D

what's concerning me is that i'd like to avoid the situation where i go and bite the bullet and buy a, say, mira sport, bring it home, and find i can't do the job (after a lot of sweating, swearing and cursing). :eek:

and i think it's very hard, or impossible, to know in advance how difficult/easy it's going to be, until i actually buy the darn thing, bring it home, and attempt to do it.

but i guess it can't be that hard...

all i was hoping (possibly a long shot) is that someone who's done the exact same swap (or has a lot of experience) will come across this post and be able to advise...

cheers.

Footprint adaptability I recon

Is it going to look like a dogs breakfast afterwards :confused:

I spose its a case of .... If the new one is smaller than the old one yeah & if vica versa no

The rest of it from a aesthetic POV if elementary plumbing & wiring :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back