Which non standard socket to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am toying with the idea to install a "non standard" socket next to my CU on a circuit that will not be RCD protected. The reason for no RCD protection is because the appliance is a calibration checkbox with RCD testing and requires it being powered from a non RCD protected circuit. Hence the non standard socket being use to prevent anything else being plugged in, along with warning label on the socket too.

Does anyone have any opinions on these or any other preference? These are the two I'm considering atm:

twin_socket.jpg

R8765584-01.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an isolation transformer to provide an isolated 230 volts to the test bench that is not CPC ( main earth ) referenced. Create a local test bench CPC for the test bench by connecting the test bench CPC to one side of the isolated 230 volts, that side then being assigned as test bench Neutral.

Thanks Bernard, no I hadn't considered an isolating transformer for this purpose. Seems like the aussies have an off the shelf compact product for this purpose, but nothing for the UK market (after a quick google search).

Sponsored Links
Think for the purpose some of those medical ones might be over the top (in terms of cost) compared to a socket and plug :D, but a transformer in a suitable case might be doable

Hence the non standard socket being use to prevent anything else being plugged in, along with warning label on the socket too.
No need for a non-standard one.

No need for a warning label unless you are not in control of the installation.

While I am in control of the installation (to a certain degree), guests, house sitters, other half etc... could in theory still use the socket in the proposed location so this would deter them if they chose to forget any warnings previously given. Also if the house is sold then this should also prevent some jobs worth surveyor saying "dangerous installation" etc.. (well I would hope).

BAS, I recall many moons ago you posted something about these sockets for a fridge IIRC. Did you go with one in the end? any preferences if you were to install one?

OK - if you have guests & housesitters to be concerned about, I guess that's a little different (OH could simply have it explained).

Surveyor on selling is easily dealt with by replacing it with a normal socket before putting the house up for sale.

I didn't go with one - I have a normal socket, non-RCD protected.

If I were to want one, my preference would be for whichever cost the least for socket + plug. Or Schuko so that nobody would try to jam a standard plug in not realising, and damage the socket. Or a socket with an integral lock switch?

Yeah a socket with integral lock or socket cover which can be locked might be more cost effective/suitable for this. I could imagine someone trying to jam a normal plug in those mk sockets until something breaks. And I never really liked the plugs with pins where you have to wrap the strands around the screw and hope it didn't pop out.

Thank you both for suggestions I hadn't considered.

Fitting non-standard plug and socket implies to me that this equipment is not being used elsewhere. In which case, why not just replace the socket with a switched fused spur, that would achieve all your requirements.

why not just replace the socket with a switched fused spur, that would achieve all your requirements
The item in question is not a fixed appliance so FCU wouldn't be suitable for this without opening it up and wiring something into it each time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back