Which paint brand should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bare new plaster walls and I will need to do the following:

1) Mist coat thinned according to the manufacturers requirement.

2) Two coats of whatever paint I choose.

Now there are a few brands out there - I will be painting a full house. looking at about 250sqm of walls and 100sqm of ceiling.

MacPherson
Dulux
Crown Trade
Johnstones Trade
Leyland Trade
Armstead

Also should I go for an eggshell / scrubbable matt for the final 2 coats? I want something that can be wiped down.

Sponsored Links
Used Little Greene recently, expensive but v nice finish and easy to apply with roller or brush, hardly drips at all.

Blup

I normally stick to Dulux Trade but painting pastel colours over bare plaster or new lining paper I am happy to use Leyland Trade (which is significantly cheaper).

I have never used Armstead and haven't used McPherson for years. The last time I used Crown Trade emulsion (purchased from a Crown Trade Centre) I found that the white paint clinging to the lid becomes thick and drops into the paint when they shake the tin in the mixing machine. I wasted hours using my finger nail to scrape white lumps of paint off the walls. I did tell the store staff but they just shrugged. I told the customer that I insisted on Dulux Trade for the other rooms.

The extra durable matt finishes are slightly less matt than regular emulsions and if you wipe too aggressively, the patch becomes more shiny. Water based eggshell will be much more durable but more shiny than matt paints.

Oil based dead flat oil will be even more durable but will stink out the house and may yellow in time.

If you're going to finish off with a thicker vinyl washable paint, I'd go with a cheaper but still good option of Leyland Trade.

Lots of the wipeable paints now come in matt so no need to use eggshell. Dulux Easycare is very good, there is a good comparison here of paints you can wipe.

Good luck on the job!

Sponsored Links
Farrow and Ball make top quality paint,

https://www.farrow-ball.com/

Is that sarcasm?

The last time I used Farrow and Ball emulsion, I had to apply two extra coats. The client paid above the odds for the paint and I lost money. The only time I ever recommend FB is when the client wants a "dusty" (read: very matt) finish. Their dark greens (for example) are bit less matt when mixed in other brands.

Johnstones acrylic durable is £38 for 5lt at brewers at the moment. Mixed to any competitors colours. Good paint and nice matt finish with only a slight sheen.
V700 is a bit more washable from B&Q and another I like but limited colour matching.

I always prime with acrylic primer undercoat. These durables can be slower drying times vs standard emulsion and struggle over dry surfaces like plaster making them harder to apply so why struggle. Prime first. They also don't like the going over contract matt emulsion.

Armstead durable is also £38 for 5lt if you order online.

No need so go for soft sheen or silk to get something you want to wipe over. Also clean paint with sugar soap. Nothing with bleach or anything that will attack paint

Johnstones acrylic durable is £38 for 5lt at brewers at the moment. Mixed to any competitors colours. Good paint and nice matt finish with only a slight sheen.
V700 is a bit more washable from B&Q and another I like but limited colour matching.

I always prime with acrylic primer undercoat. These durables can be slower drying times vs standard emulsion and struggle over dry surfaces like plaster making them harder to apply so why struggle. Prime first. They also don't like the going over contract matt emulsion.

Armstead durable is also £38 for 5lt if you order online.

No need so go for soft sheen or silk to get something you want to wipe over. Also clean paint with sugar soap. Nothing with bleach or anything that will attack paint

Thats a lot for my simple brain to take in. :mrgreen:

So is that on new plaster -

Mist coat

Acrylic Primer

2 x Durable paint

So thats 4 coats in all.

After each application I wipe down with sugar soap and light sanding paper - 180 grit?

Any polished plaster and option is to 180g sand with cheap orbital sander and tape on vacuum.

To prime plaster.
Acrylic primer can be tinted to final colour which I do sometimes or just buy white and add 20% water. Apply over plaster to prime one coat.

2 top coats of the chosen paint.

If durable paint is used and you want to clean splashes and dirt later after wild party use sugar soap and microfibre cloth. Nothing with the bleach in as will attack paint.

I always use Dulux. The the mist coat it's just 1/5 water and also still gets everywhere, not as bad as when I used Crown and it asked 50/50!

Does anyone recommend using a 15 inch roller to paint as it seems to make sense according to this video.

Also after using the roller for a mist coat - do I just throw the sleeve away or wash and reuse?

Bigger the better.. Haha old candle man bashing away..

I don't throw mine. Quick wash and leave in warm water with cheapo own brand washing machine tab over night. Then I just wash out and leave in warm water and fabric conditioner for a couple hours or sometimes I forget and leave for days. Makes them soft again like new. I hardly devote any time to this cleaning method but saves throwing and get many jobs out of them.

Bigger the better.. Haha old candle man bashing away..

I don't throw mine. Quick wash and leave in warm water with cheapo own brand washing machine tab over night. Then I just wash out and leave in warm water and fabric conditioner for a couple hours or sometimes I forget and leave for days. Makes them soft again like new. I hardly devote any time to this cleaning method but saves throwing and get many jobs out of them.

Thanks wayners for your advice. I can crack on.

Is there any particular brand of roller sleeves I should go for? I tried to pop into a Johnstone decorator centre but with this Covid I was not alowed to browse but they said they had some offers on Fat Hog equipment?

I am a bit confused on the nap? or thckness of the felt / fluff of the roller.

Buy Hamilton Perfection. Green medium pile. I use 12 and 15 inch mostly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back