which paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Hi, I'm about to paint the front of my pebbled dash house, what will be the best reasonably priced paint.

please note 17 which is here your post has been split

Sponsored Links
The best paint for an exterior has got to be any of the ones that contain pliolite resin such as dulux alseasons or sandtex 365

Its more expensive but very good and worth the extra IMO

Just make sure you cover yourself well when your putting it on...its a bitch to get of your skin,

Water based alternatives.....Johnstones do a good masonry paint as do crown.

Personally I dont rate the dulux one....its thinn doesnt cover well and drys a little to quick in the tray.

Zampa said:
The best paint for an exterior has got to be any of the ones that contain pliolite resin such as dulux alseasons or sandtex 365

Its more expensive but very good and worth the extra IMO

Just make sure you cover yourself well when your putting it on...its a **** to get of your skin,

Water based alternatives.....Johnstones do a good masonry paint as do crown.

Personally I dont rate the dulux one....its thinn doesnt cover well and drys a little to quick in the tray.
Hi thanks for that, can I also ask if i should do anything before using the Masonry paint e.g like any sort of primer? or can I start straight away, and also how many coats do you reckon I will need on the pebble dashing? for a good finish, thanks again.

Deepends if you mean pebbles as in stones.....of chippings?...if you have proper little pebbles then id use the pliolite stuff thin the first coat by about 20% this will act as a primer.

Hard to say of it will cover though, thinning the first coat wont help it covering but you do need it to soak into the substrate a little otherwise it could just sit on the top and end up flaking off in a few years.

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Deepends if you mean pebbles as in stones.....of chippings?...if you have proper little pebbles then id use the pliolite stuff thin the first coat by about 20% this will act as a primer.

Hard to say of it will cover though, thinning the first coat wont help it covering but you do need it to soak into the substrate a little otherwise it could just sit on the top and end up flaking off in a few years.
It's those proper little pebbles, what do you mean by PLIOLITE stuff? do you mean the sandtex paint? and while buying the paint one of the person recommended I also use the "Sandtex Stabilising Solution" was he just trying it on, or should I do that first, thanks again.

I wouldnt reccommennd using stabilser over the top of the small pebbles, stabilers needs to soak into a surface, it cant soak into stone.

Pliolite is the trade name for a rubberised resin which is used in oil based masonry paints such as sandtex 365 and dulux all seasons.

This would probably have more chance of adhering to the surface than a water based masonry paint.

Although it has to be said that painting pebbles can be dodgy....sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesnt.

If you use oil based masonry paint you can thin down the first coat by about 20% this will act as a stabliser/primer.

my dad got one of those flexible wall coating jobs done on the front of his pebbledash house. Been on there about 8 years now and has lasted really well. He payed quite a bit for it and I used to wind him up about it because I never actually though it would last as well as it has. Get what you pay for though I suppose!

Like all paints...it will get dirty, 8 years is good but bear in mind most decent paint companies masonry paint is gaurenteed for 15 years anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back