Which pipe insulation for outdoors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you recommend any pipe insulation which is waterproof (& UV resistant?) and suitable for outdoors?
I can't find any which says so in their specs.

Sponsored Links
That's what I was looking at but this description didn't say anything.
The project is to extend a central heating system into an external room very close. I plan to drop the pipe just below ground and insulate. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

I would put the insulated pipework into a length of drainpipe too.

edit: it has to be ht armaflex not class o see here

Sponsored Links
Difficult to stop it being in wet ground if I plan to bury it. Even in a drainpipe, water can still get to it...
What's the insulation used to protect condensate pipes?

Get yourself some spray foam to inject at both end. If you put the insulated pipe into ground without the pipe the heatloss will be huge when the ground is wet.

Good idea. Isn't that spray foam good enough to replace the other pipe insulation?

Good idea. Isn't that spray foam good enough to replace the other pipe insulation?

Do you mean use the spray foam all the way down the drain pipe to surround the heating pipe, instead of the armaflex?

If you do, then NO! You'll not know if it's gone all the way, AND... It won't centre the pipe within it.

Just do as @ajstoneservices has advised, why would you want to muddy the waters?

Why is it so bad to use the spray foam as insulation?
I'm happy to use the other one but just wondering. the more insulation the better if I get to fill the drain pipe with the foam.

As I said... You won't be able to guarantee that the foam will fully encompass the heating pipe... It could end up pinned against the outer drain pipe and thus not fully insulated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back