Which resists pullout better - ringshank nails or screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to build a house in a wild and windy place. As we are in Scotland we will have sarking boards (probably 15mm or 18mm ply sheets) on top of the rafters and then counterbattens and battens on top.

My question is how to attach the plywood sheets to the rafters? Assuming that it is a choice between 50 x 3.35 ringshank nails or 5.0 x 50 screws (both stainless), which one will hold the roof on better?

The site is very exposed and our neighbour lost part of his roof in a storm a few years ago so resistance to pull out is a must!

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
I would use ring shanks,i live in the cumbrian fells and have nailed lots of ply on flat roofs and none have ever came off in high winds.

Run bead of sticks like sh*te down each rafter, drop ply on and screw. You might wake up one morning and have no tiles, but your ply will still be there.
old un.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. The idea of glue had occurred to me so I'm glad that somebody else thinks along the same lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back