Which sealed system cleaner to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's people's.take on cleaner?
I've really only used the "Trade Save" brands.
Apart from when I worked at BG and it was X100,X200 etc
Is there any preference in brands?
I want to clean a Potterton Primed combi.
Previously I would have sorted issues out by cleaning specific part or mechanically fixing issue. But I don't have Gas Safe anymore. So I want a cleaner to help the boiler either ...Stop or reduce cycling on heating. .
Expansion vessel was flat also, so that's been pumped up .
But pressure was rising and temp erratic & rising , but not rising fast to point where boiler flashes fault.
I removed heating thermister wires and connected a..external temp thermister , where the boiler rose rapidly to 90' Then cut out with fault F25 or something.
I've never used DS40 , is it any good ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fernox or sentinel, don’t really rate Adey.
So I've never bothered to find out? But the cheaper cleaners from SF, are they similar chemicals to Branded stuff?
Is X200 going to do anything worth while ,or is it best to use something else

I’m told by a boiler manufacturer that the cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason. They said to get the same level of protection as a branded one, you’d need 3-4 times as much. X200 is silencer/noise reducer.

Sponsored Links
I’m told by a boiler manufacturer that the cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason. They said to get the same level of protection as a branded one, you’d need 3-4 times as much. X200 is silencer/noise reducer.
What would be your go to cleaner?
Have you had success using x800?

X800 good but read other thread ( I replied to ). Fit a magnetic filter instead.
Thanks for simply reminding me about filters? I was so fixed on adding a cleaner that i didnt think past this. It makes sense to fit filter, as atm there's knowhere to dose the system from. No pipework high up or no towell rad to pour into bleed area.
So ive put my argument to the Custard! Mind you...Magnetic Filters have increased in cost, thats for sure.
Ha ha....I've found a Magnaclean Demo jar i got years ago.It came with the magnet & filled with Iron oxide to demonstrate how it works. I wonder? Can i bodge this up? lol

Thanks for simply reminding me about filters? I was so fixed on adding a cleaner that i didnt think past this. It makes sense to fit filter, as atm there's knowhere to dose the system from. No pipework high up or no towell rad to pour into bleed area.
So ive put my argument to the Custard! Mind you...Magnetic Filters have increased in cost, thats for sure.
Ha ha....I've found a Magnaclean Demo jar i got years ago.It came with the magnet & filled with Iron oxide to demonstrate how it works. I wonder? Can i bodge this up? lol

Get the proper unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back