Which sheet materials for Shed floor and wall reinforcement for old wooden shed

unfortunately the amount off damp you are talking about will be in still damp air with no actual air flow 'to get flow you need different pressures otherwise it will stay as is
holes will help but not quick enough in my opinion

Sponsored Links
Good point. Will add several vent fans between the top sheet floor and under floor. May still have a few half dozen flat shaped fans butchered from the old computers in the loft.

Depending on how long you intend to keep the old shed for you could do what I did to one of my old ones.
Similar problem to you, floor was on soil and slowly rotting away, (we had been here 6 years and it had been in place long before us), so I got a large tarpaulin, (5m x 5m £40 from Screwfix), stapled it all around the sides to a height of about 30" then laid some 12mm chipboard down. Eventually it will probably rot away but now heading into it's second winter and it is still dry in there. As mentioned, don't fit it to the old floor in any way whatsoever as it will puncture the waterproofing capabilities.

Sponsored Links
if you go for conny's reasonable compromise i would go for 18mm thick because as the floor crumbles the unsupported areas will get more and more so' to stop a waterbed effect and possible collapse off the new flooring
and iff there are any actual holes may be worth placing bricks/boulders /what ever in the space to floor level to give support in an area where decay is already advanced

if you go for conny's reasonable compromise i would go for 18mm thick because as the floor crumbles the unsupported areas will get more and more so' to stop a waterbed effect and possible collapse off the new flooring
and iff there are any actual holes may be worth placing bricks/boulders /what ever in the space to floor level to give support in an area where decay is already advanced

Popped into the old shed after work tonight and found a spare block of the stuff I used. You are correct, it was 18mm not 12mm I knew it was quite thick so should last for a while.

I would be tempted to wait for summer and the shed to dry out.
Then jack up the shed and use well soaked in preservative fence posts.

it depends on the state of the shed but when a mate sold the bottom of his garden for development we managed to move his entire shed as a unit.

once it is raised off the ground maybe OSB could be used to reinforce the floor.
My shed was built on soaked fence posts on an area of lawn.
It’s solid as a rock 40 years on.

I would be tempted to wait for summer and the shed to dry out.
Then jack up the shed and use well soaked in preservative fence posts.

it depends on the state of the shed but when a mate sold the bottom of his garden for development we managed to move his entire shed as a unit.

once it is raised off the ground maybe OSB could be used to reinforce the floor.
My shed was built on soaked fence posts on an area of lawn.
It’s solid as a rock 40 years on.

Wow another great idea. It sounds excellent idea actually. Will keep looking into this. Thanks.
I have a heavy duty massive trolley jack which can lift a train.

We used a couple of farm jacks to do a test lift on my mates shed
He is a 4x4 fan and had them. We lifted a little at a time on each end sticking blocks under it to avoid too much stress before going for it once it was clear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back