Which timber size for tie and rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a shed/workshop out in the wilds, and want to use single roof type construction with no ridge board. I will use 18mm ply to cover the roof.

Anything overly complex will be a major headache as there is no access for machinery and it all has to be made and fitted by hand. Premade trusses would not be an option for instance because of the lack of access. Even getting scaffolding in would be an issue.

The span will be 12' (external) and 11'4" (internal).

Is it feasible for me to use a single tie/ceiling joist to bridge this? If so, what would the minimum size be? I'd be fixing a lightweight ply to underside and insulation above.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
That is a very useful link, it's a bit confusing to a non-professional but it looks like I'll have to use 2x6.

Do you think I should keep 2x6 for the rafters as well? the tables suggest 2x4 would be OK. Can you mix and match like that?

Cheers.

I won't make any difference if you use smaller section for the rafters. As long as it is within the recommended ratios then it's fine. Even if you were using concrete roof tiles the 2 X 4 rafters would cope so not a problem.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back