Which to Paint First?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have now spent the last few weeks prep work on our spare room and are due to wallpaper soon and wanted to know is it best to paint the celling first before hanging paper or to hang the paper then paint the celling and walls after.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice.

If i have PVA the walls then am i correct to say i should not come down on the walls with the paint

Chris

:mad: what makes you think you want to PVA the walls?

Sponsored Links
The walls have been PVA due to old paint pealing even how much i sand it down so i had to PVA as its going to have wall paper over. Is this the wrong way to do this then

Chris

Hi, Yep i thought it was just paint that PVA is no good with. I have not put PVA on the celling just the walls that the paper is going up on. I was told by a few people thats its ok to usa thinned down PVA on walls that wallpaper is going up on as long as i dont want to ever paint it in the future which i dont as the walls are very bad

Have a done wrong then

Chris

It probably won't do any harm but won't stop the paint peeling. You'd have been better scraping the loose stuff off and lining.

The best way to stop paint peeling is oil based undercoat as it is tough and pliable.

Well what was happening was after i sanded the other week and then wipe the wall down after i would check the room the following morning and found that some edges of the paint patches on the wall had started to peal on the edge so what i was advised is to do the following below.

Sand areas again then wipe clean and usa a thinned down mix of 5 parts water to 1 part PVA. I did all my walls over a week ago and the paint has not peal again and is smooth when if i would have left it just 24hrs it would have pealed so seem to have worked ok.

Is it ok to Size the wall ontop of PVA or not size due to PVA being on the wall.

Cheers for the advice by the way as its always good to know things.

Chris

the peeling you had before might have been due to paste residue on the walls (unless it is such an old house it had distemper)

I like to take it off using a mist sprayer, with a drop of washing up liquid in hot water, and a broad metal scraper. You can scrape the slimy paste off the wall and wipe it off the scraper onto your sleeve or a rag.

I like to emulsion-paint my walls white after scraping and filling. It gives a good level colour so you can easily see any remaining imperfections and fix them. Then you repaint. The room looks respectable if there is a delay in finishing, and I find this nice to paper on, and it prevents uneven colours showing through the paper. You do not have to size it as the plaster is sealed and not grabby, it also has some slip. It is also easy to clean off and redecorate next time.

BTW I find it quicker and easier to flat off any filler using a metal scraper. I very seldom sand walls, except for the tiniest little dot of filler, or snots.

Other people will have other ways of working, and a pro will be much faster than me.

I am a householder not a pro.

I did all my walls over a week ago and the paint has not peal again and is smooth when if i would have left it just 24hrs it would have pealed so seem to have worked ok.

Is it ok to Size the wall ontop of PVA or not size due to PVA being on the wall.

Chris

Don't size on top. If you've got the mix right with the pva it'll be o.k.

There are many decs that sometimes, pva walls before papering. My pal is one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back